NY.gov Portal State Agency Listing Search all of NY.gov
D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

Coastal Erosion Control Permit Program: Jurisdiction of Other Agencies

You must notify DEC of any other state or local approvals needed for your project. This will enable a coordinated review among all involved agencies. These may include:

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

The Corps of Engineers regulates the dredging, the discharge of dredged or fill material, and the construction of certain structures in waterways and wetlands. The Corps' jurisdiction now expands beyond those major waterways traditionally referred to as "Navigable Waters", therefore, when you propose activities in or adjacent to any waters or wetlands, contact the Army Corps of Engineers as well as the DEC.

The "Joint Application Form" (PDF) (543 KB) and Instructions (PDF) (301 KB) helps applicants obtain a Corps of Engineers permit at the same time as the DEC permit. You must send the application form to both agencies.

Be Aware:

  • Being told that DEC will not require a permit for your project doesn't necessarily mean the Corps of Engineers won't require one. - You must contact the Corps to find out!
  • Likewise, obtaining a DEC permit doesn't relieve you from complying with federal law and with the regulations implemented by the United States Army Corps of Engineers. You bear the responsibility to inform them and ensure compliance.

DEC Regions and Corps of Engineers Jurisdiction

Region 1 Nassau and Suffolk counties

Region 2 Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens and Richmond counties

Region 3 Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester counties

Region 4 Albany, Columbia, Delaware, Greene, Montgomery, Otsego, Rensselaer, Schenectady and Schoharie counties

Region 5 Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Saratoga, Warren and Washington counties

Region 6 Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida and St. Lawrence counties

Region 7 Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Tioga and Tompkins counties

Region 8 Chemung, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne and Yates counties

Region 9 Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Niagara and Wyoming counties

In DEC Regions 1-5, obtain more information concerning Corps of Engineers permits from:

New York District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Attn. Regulatory Branch
26 Federal Plaza
New York, NY 10278-0090

  • for DEC Regions 1, 2 and Westchester/Rockland Counties: (917) 790-8511
  • for DEC Region 3, except Westchester/Rockland Counties: (917) 790-8411

New York District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Albany Field Office
1 Bond Street
Troy, NY 12180
(518) 270-0589

  • for DEC Regions 4, 5

In DEC Regions 6-9, obtain more information concerning Corps of Engineers permits from:

Buffalo District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Attn. Regulatory Branch
1776 Niagara St.
Buffalo, NY 14207-3199
(716) 879-4330

New York State Department of State (DOS)

If the project is located in a coastal area or within a local waterfront revitalization program (LWRP) and a federal approval is required, the federal agency must obtain a Coastal Consistency Certification from the New York State Department of State before it can give its approval. If this certification is needed, the federal agency which must make the Coastal Consistency Certification part of its permit decision, usually the Corps of Engineers, will so inform you.

A property sitting on a eroding coast line before it is completely lost
Slope Failure From Erosion Eventually
Resulted in Complete Loss of This Home
(See "After" Picture Under Application Procedures)

In New York, coastal areas include:

the Atlantic Ocean,

  • Long Island Sound,
  • Arthur Kill,
  • Kill van Kull,
  • Harlem River,
  • East River,
  • Hudson River south of the Troy Dam
  • Niagara River,
  • St. Lawrence River,
  • Lake Ontario,
  • Lake Erie,
  • and all connecting water bodies, bays, harbors, shallows, and marshes.

For questions involving the Coastal Consistency Program contact:
NYS Department of State
Coastal Management Program, Division of Coastal Resources
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 1010
Albany, NY 12231
(518) 474-6000
or on the web at http://www.nyswaterfronts.com/index.asp

New York State Office of General Services (OGS)
In most instances, the State of New York owns the land beneath coastal waters, and waters of large lakes and rivers. The New York State Office of General Services manages most underwater holdings. It is your responsibility to determine whether your project involves any New York State-owned underwater lands and to obtain necessary approvals or easements for their use from OGS.

During review of your application, DEC will notify OGS of your project if state-owned underwater lands appear to be involved.

For questions involving underwater properties owned by the state, contact:
NYS Office of General Services
Division of Land Utilization, Bureau of Land Management
Corning Tower Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12242
(518) 474-2195
or on the web at www.ogs.ny.gov/realEstate/permits/default.html

New York Power Authority (NYPA)
The New York Power Authority regulates shore development along the St. Lawrence River and its tributaries in the St. Lawrence County towns of Massena, Lisbon, Louisville, and Waddington.
Inquiries relating to the NYPA's jurisdiction should be to:
New York Power Authority
PO Box 700
Massena, NY 13662
(315) 764-0226

New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP)
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation has jurisdiction over floating objects in navigable waters of the state, outside the Adirondack and Catskill Parks.
For information on permit requirements, contact:
New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
Bureau of Marine & Recreational Vehicles
Empire State Plaza, Building 1
Albany, NY 12238
(518) 474-0445

New York City Department of Environmental Protection (NYC DEP)
The New York City Department of Environmental Protection regulates stream and wetland crossing, sewage treatment, and storm water management projects within New York City's upstate watershed systems:
the Croton system, east of the Hudson River in Dutchess, Putnam, and Westchester counties, and
the Catskill/Delaware system, west of the Hudson River in Delaware, Greene, Schoharie, Sullivan, and Ulster counties.

For information contact:
New York City Department of Environmental Protection
59-17 Junction Boulevard
10th Floor
Flushing, NY 11373
(212) 639-9675

Local Governments
Finally, county, city, town or village building permits, flood plain permits or other approvals may be necessary. You should check with the appropriate offices.

  • Contact for this Page
    Division of Environmental Permits
    4th Floor
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-1750
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions