Clean Water Act CAFO General Permit
The Clean Water Act (CWA) CAFO General Permit is a general permit issued pursuant to the New York State Environmental Conservation Law and the federal Clean Water Act for CAFO operations that may discharge in storms greater than the 25-year/24-hour storm. If you have questions about the CAFO permit program, please contact Sara Latessa at 518-402-8086 or send your question via email.
CWA CAFO General Permit GP-04-02 (PDF, 187 KB). The permit was initially issued for a five-year term, with an effective date of July 1, 2004 and an expiration date of June 30, 2009, but has been administratively extended.
The following forms are needed to comply with the requirements of the CWA CAFO permit:
- Notice of Intent or Transfer (PDF, 172 KB) - The NOI is a request for coverage under the ECL CAFO general permit. A completed NOI must be submitted to DEC in order to gain coverage under this permit, or whenever the facility is transferred to another legally responsible party.
- Notice of Termination (PDF, 137 KB) - The NOT is a request to terminate coverage under the CWA CAFO general permit.
- Annual Compliance Report - The ACR must be submitted to DEC by March 31 of each year and must describe facility operations from the previous calendar year. The ACR can be completed either online or in paper format.
- Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan Certification (PDF, 137 KB) - CAFOs must submit this certification to DEC upon completion of the CNMP.
- Incident Report Form (PDF, 150 KB) - This form must be submitted to DEC in accordance with the timeframes provided in the permit whenever a discharge from the CAFO causes a water quality violation or an overflow occurs from a waste storage structure.
- CAFO CNMP Planner Certification for the eAnnual Compliance Report (PDF, 49 KB) - This form is used as part of the "Required CNMP Components" section when preparing and submitting the eAnnual Compliance Report. This form is not used when submitting the paper version of the ACR.
- CAFO CNMP Owner/Operator Certification for the eAnnual Compliance Report (PDF, 70 KB) - This form is used as part of the "Owner/Operator Certification" section when preparing and submitting the eAnnual Compliance Report. This form is not used when submitting the paper version of the ACR.
- CWA CAFO General Permit Responsiveness Summary (PDF, 133 KB)
- Management of Waste on Farms Guidance Document (PDF, 117 KB) - In 2014, revisions were made to 6 NYCRR Parts 360 and 750 that pertain to management of solid waste at farms/CAFOs. This guidance document was developed to help navigate these overlapping regulations.