Environmental Conservation Law CAFO General Permit
The Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) CAFO General Permit is a general permit issued pursuant to the New York State Environmental Conservation Law for CAFOs that do not discharge process wastewater from their production area. If you have questions about the CAFO permit program, contact Doug Ashline at 518-402-8086, or send your question via email.
ECL CAFO General Permit GP-0-16-001 (PDF, 1.2 MB) - The permit was issued on January 25, 2017, with an effective date of July 24, 2017 and an expiration date of July 23, 2022.
The CAFO Notice of Intent and Annual Compliance Report can be completed online through the NYSDEC eBusiness Forms Portal (leaves DEC's website). Users must be registered with NY.gov in order to use this system. User guides and help on registering for the portal are available on the portal information webpage.
The following forms are needed to comply with the requirements of the ECL CAFO general permit:
- Notice of Intent - The NOI is a request for coverage under the ECL CAFO general permit. A completed NOI must be submitted to DEC in order to gain coverage under the ECL CAFO general permit. The NOI can be completed either online or in paper format.
- Notice of Termination (PDF, 51 KB) - The NOT is a request to terminate coverage under the ECL CAFO general permit.
- Annual Compliance Report - The ACR must be submitted to DEC by March 31 of each year and must describe facility operations from the previous calendar year. The ACR can be completed either online or in paper format.
- Change of Operation Form (PDF, 69 KB) - The Change of Operation form must be submitted to DEC whenever a facility is transferred to another legally responsible party, the on farm contact changes, the size of the facility changes, two separately operated CAFOs consolidate, the facility constructs or expands a liquid waste storage structure of greater than 1 million gallons, or any other situations specifically outlined in the permit.
- Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan Certification (PDF, 51 KB) - CAFOs seeking coverage under the ECL CAFO general permit must submit this certification to DEC with the Notice of Intent. Owners/operators of CAFOs permitted under the ECL CAFO general permit must submit this certification to DEC within 6 months of acquiring an AFO or CAFO operation.
- Incident Report Form (PDF, 57 KB) - This form must be submitted to DEC in accordance with the timeframes specified in the permit whenever a discharge from the CAFO causes a water quality violation, an overflow occurs from a waste storage structure, or any of the conditions related to the discharge of Non-Contact Cooling Water are not met.
- Contractor Certification Statement (PDF, 52 KB) - The owner or operator must have each professional contracted to apply manure, wastewater, and/or digestate sign a copy of the contractor certification statement on the date of service.
- CAFO CNMP Planner Certification Form for the eAnnual Compliance Report - This form is used as part of the "Required CNMP Components" section when preparing and submitting the eAnnual Compliance Report. This form is not used if submitting the paper version of the ACR.
- CAFO CNMP Owner/Operator Certification Form for the eAnnual Compliance Report - This form is used as part of the "Owner/Operator Certification" section when preparing and submitting the eAnnual Compliance Report. This form is not used if submitting the paper version of the ACR.