Environmental Conservation Law CAFO General Permit
The Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) CAFO General Permit is a general permit issued pursuant to the New York State Environmental Conservation Law for CAFOs that do not discharge process wastewater from their production area. If you have questions about the CAFO permit program, contact Sara Latessa at 518-402-8086, or send your question via email.
ECL CAFO General Permit GP-0-14-001 (PDF, 205 KB). The permit was issued for a two-year term, with an effective date of July 1, 2014 and an expiration date of June 30, 2016.
The following forms are needed to comply with the requirements of the ECL CAFO permit:
- Notice of Intent (PDF, 160 KB) - The NOI is a request for coverage under the ECL CAFO permit. A completed NOI must be submitted to DEC in order to gain coverage under either of the CAFO general permits.
- Notice of Termination (PDF, 82 KB) - The NOT is a request to terminate coverage under the ECL CAFO permit.
- Annual Compliance Report - The ACR must be submitted to DEC by March 31 of each year and must describe facility operations from the previous calendar year. The ACR can be completed either online or in paper format.
- Change of Status form (PDF, 126 KB) - The Change of Status form must be submitted to DEC whenever a facility is transferred to another legally responsible party, the size of the facility changes, two separately operated CAFOs consolidate, or any other situations specifically outlined in the permit.
- Annual Nutrient Management Plan template (PDF, 48 KB) - Large CAFOs must submit a completed Annual Nutrient Management Plan to DEC with the Notice of Intent and by March 31 of each year in conjunction with the Annual Compliance Report. The plan must address planned facility operations for the upcoming calendar year.
- Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan Certification (PDF, 55 KB) - CAFOs must submit this certification to DEC upon completion of the CNMP.
- Incident Report Form (PDF, 40 KB) - This form must be submitted to DEC in accordance with the timeframes specified in the permit whenever a discharge from the CAFO causes a water quality violation or an overflow occurs from a waste storage structure.
- CAFO CNMP Planner Certification Form for the eAnnual Compliance Report (PDF, 49 KB) - This form is used as part of the "Required CNMP Components" section when preparing and submitting the eAnnual Compliance Report. This form is not used if submitting the paper version of the ACR.
- CAFO CNMP Owner/Operator Certification Form for the eAnnual Compliance Report (PDF, 70 KB) - This form is used as part of the "Owner/Operator Certification" section when preparing and submitting the eAnnual Compliance Report. This form is not used if submitting the paper version of the ACR.
- ECL CAFO General Permit Fact Sheet (PDF, 24 KB)
- ECL CAFO General Permit Responsiveness Summary (PDF, 25 KB)
- ECL CAFO General Permit Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 56 KB)
- Management of Waste on Farms Guidance Document (PDF, 117 KB) - In 2014, revisions were made to 6 NYCRR Parts 360 and 750 that pertain to management of solid waste at farms/CAFOs. This guidance document was developed to help navigate these overlapping regulations.