Sale of Wild Birds
Statutory Authority: ECL 11-1728, and 6 NYCRR Part 174, and Part 175
The Department may issue a Sale of Wild Birds Permit to authorize the sale of unbanded wild birds in possession before May 1, 1986, or bought between May 1, 1986 and November 1, 1986.
The following species may be sold without a permit. Diamond dove, Cockatiel, Crimson rosella, Eastern rosella, Pale-headed (Blue) rosella, Red-rumped parakeet, Bourke's parrot, Budgerigar, Blue-masked lovebird, Zebra finch, Gouldian finch, Society finch, Java sparrow, and Common canary.
- Documentation is required to prove that the unbanded bird was possessed prior to May 1986.
- There is a $10.00 fee per bird to be licensed.
Please contact the Special Licenses Unit with any questions or concerns, or to apply for this permit.
Special Licenses Unit
Albany, NY 12233-4752
List of applicable Laws and Regulations
New York Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
Please visit the website for New York State Legislature (Leaves DEC website)
- 11-1728 Sale of live wild birds.
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (6NYCRR)
- Part 174 Sale of Live Birds (Leaves DEC website)
- Part 175 Special Licenses and Permits - Definitions and Uniform Procedures (Leaves DEC website)