License to Liberate Fish and Wildlife
Statutory Authority: ECL 11-0507
The Department of Environmental Conservation regulates the liberation of fish and Wildlife to the wild in New York State. The Department may issue licenses at its discretion, fix the terms of the license, and revoke the license at its pleasure.
- No wildlife may be released EXCEPT under a license from the Department.
- Insects and other invertebrates are considered wildlife.
- To release fish a Stocking Permit is required.
- There is no fee for this license.
Please contact the Special Licenses Unit with any questions or concerns about qualifying or applying for this license. To apply for this license complete the Liberate Fish or Wildlife Application (PDF 17 kb), and send to the Department of Environmental Conservation Special Licenses Unit.
Special Licenses Unit
Albany, NY 12233-4752
List of applicable Laws and Regulations
- New York Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) to read visit Department of State website at http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menuf.cgi