Pesticide Applicator/Technician Information
The Department would like to introduce Phase 1 of the "New York State Pesticide Administration Database" (NYSPAD) portal. You may access information regarding pesticide: applicators/technicians, training courses, training course instructors/sponsors and certification/recertification exams. Phase 2 of NYSPAD will allow access to the business/agency registration information and will be available in the near future.
All certified applicators and technicians are required to have a photograph on file with the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (NYSDMV) in order to receive their pesticide photo identification card.
Important! Individuals that do not currently have a photo on file with the NYSDMV, please visit the link to NYSDMV Requirements for Proof of Identity and Date of Birth found in the right hand column to ensure that you meet their requirements prior to visiting a NYSDMV office. Once you are confident that you have the necessary documents required by NYSDMV, please print out the NYSDMV form for Request for Photo Image form found in the right hand column on this page, and bring it with you to the DMV office. Photographs taken at the NYSDMV solely for the purpose of attaining pesticide certification will be taken free of charge.
Once you are certain your photo is on file at the NYSDMV, you must complete the form found in the right column entitled Renewal/Recertification Application Form, and submit that form at the time of application and/or recertification, if one is not already on file with the DEC. If testing, the 9 digit number assigned by the NYSDMV will be captured on the exam application.
Pesticide applicator examinations are conducted through our Regional Offices. Examination schedules may be viewed by visiting the link in the left hand column. Applicator ID cards and recertification courses are processed by the Albany Office, telephone number (518) 402-8748. Certification and recertification courses are posted on the Pest Management Education Program at Cornell University web site. (See "Links Leaving DEC's Website" at right)
Certified Commercial Pesticide Applicator Requirements
An individual must meet at least one or more of the following eligibility requirements to become a certified commercial pesticide applicator:
- one year of verifiable experience as a technician with an additional 12 hours of category-specific recertification training; or
- two years of verifiable experience as a technician; or
- three years of verifiable full-time experience as an apprentice working in the category or categories in which the individual is seeking certification; or
- three years of verifiable experience as a certified private applicator in a corresponding private category; or
- certification in another state that New York State has reciprocity; or
- three years experience in the sale of pesticides or industrial chemicals, or can otherwise demonstrate, through applicable training certificates or educational degrees, that the individual possesses appropriate technical background, as determined by the department, if seeking pesticide applicator certification in the Sales Category.
NOTE: All of the above experience and/or training must have been earned within the last five years to meet the eligibility requirements. All verifiable experience letters must be signed in the presence of a notary public by both the individual seeking applicator certification and their supervising applicator. With the exception of reciprocity, all applicants must also successfully pass the core and appropriate category examination(s).
Certified Commercial Pesticide Technician Requirements
For an individual to be eligible for commercial pesticide technician certification, the individual must:
- be at least 17 years of age at the time of application; and
- have successfully completed a comprehensive 30-hour training course, approved by the department; or
- have received a baccalaureate or associate degree from an accredited college or university which covers the topics listed in Section 325.18, and related categories in Sections 325.16 or 325.17; or
- have two years of verifiable experience as an apprentice.
- Individuals must also pass the core and appropriate category examination(s).
Certified Private Pesticide Applicator Requirements
An individual shall be eligible for private applicator certification if that individual has met the following experience and/or training requirements and has successfully passed the necessary examinations.
- The applicant must be at least 17 years of age at the time of application; and
- have at least one year of full-time experience within the last three years in the use of pesticides in the category or categories that the individual is seeking certification; or
- have completed a comprehensive 30-hour training course, approved by the department; or
- have received an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university which covers the topics listed in Section 325.18, and related categories in Sections 325.16 or 325.17; or
- have one year of verifiable experience as a commercial applicator in a corresponding commercial category.
- Individuals must also pass the core and appropriate category examination(s).
Fertilizer Restrictions for Pesticide Applicators
- Commercial pesticide applicators, including those operating under lawn care contract and any other person using fertilizers, including homeowners, must comply with restrictions in the NYS Dishwasher Detergent and Nutrient Runoff Law.
- The restrictions apply to use of fertilizer/pesticide combination products (commonly known as "weed and feeds").
- Fertilizer containing more than 0.67% phosphorus can only be used if a new lawn is being established or a soil test indicates it is necessary.
- Use of fertilizer that contains up to 0.67% phosphorus is not restricted.
- Commercial permittees who sell fertilizer/pesticide combination products or fertilizers alone must display phosphorus containing fertilizers separately from non-phosphorus fertilizers and post an educational sign where the phosphorus fertilizers are displayed (PDF, 128 KB).
- Any person purchasing fertilizer/pesticide combination products should read the product label to ensure the product purchased contains 0.67% or less phosphorus.
Training manuals can be found by clicking the Pesticide Applicator Training Manuals link found in the right column of this page. Please visit the NYSPAD portal (list of Department approved courses) that will assist you in locating training courses to fit your individual needs. Department approved distance learning courses, those courses given on-line or through CD ROM, can be used to meet the training requirements.
Every applicator is required to either submit recertification training credits at the end of their certification cycle or take a recertification examination. Individuals can click on the Applicator Recertification Dates link in the right column to find out their cycle and recertification date.
Please Note: An individual should only take a particular course once within a twelve month period. Any course taken more than once within twelve months of each other, will only be counted once and the repeat(s) will be disregarded. Private applicators cannot earn all of their recertification credits in one calendar year, ONLY commercial applicators on a three year certification cycle can do so.
More about Pesticide Applicator/Technician Information:
- Adding or Dropping Pesticide Certification Categories - Information to guide certified applicators through the process of either adding an additional category(ies) or dropping an existing category(ies).
- Payment Procedures using the Statewide Financial System (SFS) - Information for state employees using SFS to make a pesticide renewal or recertification payment.
- Reciprocity Information - Explains who is eligible for reciprocity and how to apply.