Recreational Licenses, Permits and Registrations
The following information is for recreational fishing, hunting and trapping licenses and permits, deer management permits, marine fishing registry, and habitat/access stamp or other donation sources.
Buy a License, Permit or Register for Marine Fishing
Review detailed and important information on purchasing licenses and registering for recreational sporting activities.
License Types and Fees
Review a quick reference of all available sporting licenses, permits, and registration types and fees
Detailed information pertaining to each sporting license or registry is available through links to the left of this page.
Valid Dates of Licenses, Registration and Permits
- Annual fishing, hunting, and trapping sporting licenses and deer management permits are valid from October 1 through September 30.
- Annual marine fishing registration is valid from January 1 through December 31.
Surveying License Holders
Periodically, DEC or its designated agent(s) may use contact information from licenses to communicate with license holders and to conduct surveys and research involving New York State fish and wildlife. The information obtained will provide public input on fish and wildlife management actions and human interactions with New York's fish and wildlife resources.
Other Licenses and Permits
- Special Licenses and Permits for wildlife rehabilitators, falconers, fishing and shooting preserves, outdoor guides, longbow and modified crossbow use, and many more.
- Commercial Marine Licenses and Permits for shellfish digger's, foodfish harvest, dealers and shippers, and more.
More about Sporting Licenses:
- Buy a Sporting License - Find out how you can purchase your fishing, hunting, trapping licenses and permits, apply for a deer management permit, register for recreational marine fishing, or make a donation to support the management and conservation of New York State's wildlife populations and habitat.
- Sporting License Fees - A list of sporting licenses and their associated fees for hunting, fishing and trapping.
- Fishing Licenses - New York State fishing license information.
- Recreational Marine Fishing Registry - Information for anglers on the recreational marine fishing registry
- Hunting Licenses - Information about hunting licenses and hunter education.
- Trapping Licenses - Information about trapping licenses.
- Lifetime Sporting Licenses - Information about New York State resident lifetime sporting licenses.
- Sporting Licenses Under the Patriot Plan - NYS Residents who are active service members of either the New York State Organized Militia, U.S. Reserve Forces, or certain members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible for free sporting licenses.
- Sporting License Sales Summary - Summary of sales for sporting licenses from 2002/2003 through the current license year.
- Habitat/Access Stamp - Please consider purchasing a Habitat/Access Stamp to help conserve habitat and increase public access for fish and wildlife recreational activities.
- Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact - Effective March 1, 2006, NYS joined the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact (IWVC). The IWVC is a compact under which member states reciprocate regarding the suspension or revocation of licenses and permits.