Commercial Fishing License
Statutory Authority: ECL 11-1501 to 11-1521, and 6 NYCRR Part 35, Part 36, and Part 175
The Department, at its discretion, may issue a Commercial Fishing License that authorizes a person to take fish for commercial purposes with nets and devices, except in waters where their use is expressly prohibited. Commercial Fishing Licenses are issued for a few species of fish in the Hudson River.
There are several types of Commercial Fishing Licenses.
Commercial Fishing Licenses for Lake Erie or Lake Ontario:
- DEC will not be issuing any new commercial licenses for Lake Erie or Lake Ontario for the foreseeable future.
Eel Weir and Eel Pot Licenses:
- The Commercial Fishing of eels is authorized with either the Eel Weir license, or Eel Pot License, depending on capture methods.
- The fees vary depending on gear licensed, and resident/nonresident status.
- New applicants must go through review processes to be considered.
- Catch reports must be submitted annually.
- A tag will be issued for each licensed piece of equipment.
- Licenses Expire annually on December 31.
Please contact the Special Licenses Unit with any questions or concerns; or to find out how to apply for any of these licenses.
Special Licenses Unit
Albany, NY 12233-4752
List of applicable Laws and Regulations
New York Environmental Conservation Law (ECL): visit the Department of State website at http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS.
- 11-1501 to 11-1521
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (6NYCRR)