Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Nuisance Wildlife Control License

License Details

This license authorizes an individual to take/trap, transport and release wildlife whenever the animal becomes a nuisance, destroys property or threatens public safety. The individual can conduct these activities for commercial purposes or as an employee of a municipality. If you have a nuisance wildlife problem, please visit our list of Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators.

License Details
Fees License Duration
$50 General Commercial License 1 year (October 1 - September 30)
No Fee Municipal License

What This License Allows

  • Taking, transporting and releasing, or euthanizing wildlife when such wildlife damages or destroys property or poses a threat to public safety.
  • For a General (Commercial) License holder only: Charging a fee to provide wildlife removal services for a property owner or lessee.

What This License Does Not Allow

  • Trapping or taking the following species without an additional special permit:
    • Endangered/threatened species. Requires an endangered/threatened species license from DEC's Special Licenses Unit.
    • Migratory birds (i.e. woodpecker, raptor, etc.). The homeowner requesting removal must acquire a federal migratory bird permit (Leaves DEC website) from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services.
    • Certain wildlife species, including: white-tailed deer, black bear, beaver, otter, mink, muskrat, fisher, marten, bobcat, wild turkey, water snake, snapping turtle. Requires special depredation permit from a regional DEC wildlife office.

How to Apply

  1. Pass the nuisance wildlife control operator examination with a score of 80% or higher:
  2. Complete and submit the Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator License Application (sent in mail after passing the exam).

Renewing & Reporting

License Renewal

Licenses expire annually on September 30 each year. A renewal form will be sent by mail prior to the license expiration date noted on the license. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to the expiration date, please contact us.

Annual Reporting

Complete the Nuisance Wildlife Control Log (PDF) (206KB) (view Instructions (PDF) (76KB) on completing the log) and submit by September 30 each year. Required for all licensed nuisance wildlife control operators.

Laws & Regulations

Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)

Please visit New York State Legislature (Leaves DEC website)

  • 11-0507 Liberation of wildlife
  • 11-0511 Possession and transportation of wildlife
  • 11-0513 Pigeons
  • 11-0521 Destructive wildlife; taking pursuant to permit
  • 11-0523 Destructive or menacing wildlife; taking without permit
  • 11-0524 Nuisance wildlife control operators

New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)

Contact Information

DEC Special Licenses Unit
625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
(518) 402-8985

  • PDF Help
  • For help with PDFs on this page, please call 518-402-8985.
  • Contact for this Page
  • NYSDEC Fish and Wildlife
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-4752
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions