License to Collect or Possess
Statutory Authority: ECL 11-0515 and 6 NYCRR Part 175
A License to Collect or Possess is issued to qualified individuals to possess fish, wildlife, shellfish, crustaceans or aquatic insects, and bird nests or eggs. This license is issued only for the following purposes: Scientific Collection, Banding, Exhibition, or Propagation.
- Native wildlife may not be kept as pets in New York State.
- Threatened or Endangered species require a separate license. Endangered/Threatened Species License
- Federal permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or USDA may also be required depending on species and activity.
- This license expires 1 year from date of issuance.
- There is a $10.00 fee for this License.
Please contact the Special Licenses Unit with any questions or concerns about qualifying or applying for this license. To apply for this license complete the License to Collect and Possess Application (PDF 635 kb) or Renewal Application (PDF 59 kb), and send with a check or money order for the appropriate amount, to the Department of Environmental Conservation Special Licenses Unit.
Special Licenses Unit
Albany, NY 12233-4752
List of applicable Laws and Regulations
- New York Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) to read visit Department of State website at http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menuf.cgi
- New York Codes Rules and Regulations (6NYCRR)