Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Depredation Permit

Migratory Bird Depredation Permit

In most cases, any person, agency, corporation or municipality will need a U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) migratory bird depredation permit when handling migratory bird problems. For more information, visit the USFWS Migratory Bird Program website (link leaves DEC website) or call DEC's Special Licenses Unit at 518-402-8985.

All Other Depredation Permits

For other wildlife problems, contact a Regional DEC Wildlife Office or visit DEC's Nuisance Species webpage to identify whether you will need a depredation permit or license to take a wild animal causing a nuisance, destroying property, or threatening public health or welfare.

Applicable Laws and Regulations

New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)

New York Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)

The following links leave DEC's website:

To find this law click on the link, click on ENV, find Article 11, click on the appropriate law.

  • PDF Help
  • For help with PDFs on this page, please call 518-402-8985.
  • Contact for this Page
  • NYSDEC Fish and Wildlife
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-4752
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions