Fish Stocking Permits
This license authorizes an individual to release DEC approved and certified disease free fish into waters of New York State.
Up to 5-years
What This License Allows:
- Stocking certified disease free fish into waters of New York State (defined below).
What This License Does Not Allow:
- Selling fish
- Stocking triploid grass carp (requires a triploid grass carp stocking permit)
- Stocking personally collected fish from another water body.
Other Pertinent Information
- "Certified Disease Free Fish"/Fish Health Inspection Report: Prior to stocking fish into the waters of the state, the licensee must have a valid fish health inspection report to indicate that the fish are free of diseases. This is typically provided by the hatchery or facility. More details can be found in the regulations link below.
- "Waters of New York State" includes: any lake, river, pond, stream or any other distinct mass of water existing in the State of New York, whether publicly or privately owned.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit the Fish Stocking Permit Application (PDF) (944kb)
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
- 11-0507: Liberation of Fish, Shellfish and Wildlife (External Link)
Bureau of Fisheries
Find a Regional Fisheries Office near you for phone, email and address information.
Additional Resources and Information
- Private and Commercial Fish Hatcheries: list of licensed fish hatcheries from which fish can be purchased.
- Stocking Privately Held Waters: information on requirements for stocking fish into privately owned waters.
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for permitting fish stocking:
- Farm Fish Pond License: authorizes an individual to stock fish in a privately owned or leased ponds 10 acres or smaller in size.
- Fishing Preserve: authorizes an individual to operate a commercial fishing facility on a privately-owned artificial or man-made waterbody of any size.
- Triploid Grass Carp Stocking: authorizes an individual to stock certified triploid grass carp into private ponds to manage aquatic vegetation.