Triploid Grass Carp Stocking Permit
This license authorizes an individual to stock certified triploid grass carp into private ponds to manage aquatic vegetation. Ponds must be on privately owned or leased land by the individual making or authorizing the stocking.
March 1 - November 30
What This License Allows:
- Stocking certified triploid grass carp for aquatic plant management in private ponds that are:
- 5 acres or less in size.
- Larger than 5 acres after the pond site has been evaluated by DEC and meets criteria under the State Environmental Quality Review Act.
What This License Does Not Allow:
- Stocking grass carp into a waterbody that is:
- An impoundment or natural pond on a stream.
- A source of a permanent stream as designated by the most recent United States Geologic Survey (USGS) or New York State Department of Transportation (DOT) quadrangle covering the application site.
- Contiguous or a part of a NYS regulated freshwater wetland.
- Stocking grass carp into a waterbody containing species listed as NYS endangered, threatened or special concern.
- Stocking grass carp into the same water body consecutively within 2 years.
- Importing or selling triploid grass carp (requires an import and sell triploid grass carp permit)
Other Pertinent Information
- Fish Health Certification Report: Prior to stocking fish into the waters of the state, the licensee must have a valid fish health certification report to indicate that the fish are free of diseases. This is typically provided by the hatchery or facility. More details can be found in the regulations link below.
How to Apply
- Have a copy of a map showing the location/pond(s) to be licensed. (Example maps: topographic, road/highway, internet/Google, etc.)
- Complete and submit the Grass Carp Stocking Permit Application (PDF) (973 KB)
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 188: Fish Health Inspections (link leaves DEC website)
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
- 11-0507: Liberation of Fish, Shellfish and Wildlife (link leaves DEC website)
Bureau of Fisheries
Find a Regional Fisheries Office near you for phone, email and address information.
Additional Resources and Information
- Triploid Grass Carp in New York Ponds: details about grass carp stocking recommendations.
- Private and Commercial Fish Hatcheries - list of licensed fish hatcheries from which fish can be purchased.
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for permitting fish stocking in privately owned or leased waters:
- Farm Fish Pond License: authorizes an individual to stock fish in a privately owned or leased ponds 10 acres or smaller in size.