Modified Crossbow Permit
This permit authorizes hunters with a permanent physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to use a crossbow equipped with a breath-tube apparatus for releasing the bowstring.
What This License Allows:
- Using a crossbow equipped with a breath-tube apparatus that allows the release of the bowstring.
- Using a modified crossbow to pursue big game and small game during bowhunting seasons.
What This License Does Not Allow:
- Using an unmodified crossbow.
Other Pertinent Information
Hunting seasons when a modified crossbow is permitted:
- Small game - any season
- Big game -
- regular firearms season
- bowhunting season
- late muzzleloader season
How to Apply
- Have a current year NYS hunting license.
- Have two 2" x 2" passport type photographs for your ID card. (Follow passport photo requirements (link leaves DEC website) established by U.S. Department of State).
- Complete and submit the Modified Crossbow Permit Application (PDF, 138 KB)
- A licensed physician will need to complete and sign a section of the application.
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 175: Special Licenses and Permits - Definitions and Uniform Procedures (link leaves DEC website)
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
To find this law click on the link, click on ENV, find Article 11, click on the appropriate law.
- 11-0901(15): Prohibitions (link leaves DEC website)
DEC Special Licenses Unit
Address: 625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for hunters with disability:
- Modified Longbow Authorization - allows hunters with a physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to use a bow equipped with a mechanical device for holding and releasing the bowstring.
- Non Ambulatory Hunter License - authorizes hunters with a physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to hunt with a firearm from a motorized vehicle during hunting seasons.