Modified Crossbow Permit
This permit authorizes hunters with a permanent physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to use a crossbow equipped with a breath-tube apparatus for releasing the bowstring.
What This License Allows:
- Using a crossbow equipped with a breath-tube apparatus that allows the release of the bowstring.
- Using a modified crossbow to pursue big game and small game during bowhunting seasons.
What This License Does Not Allow:
- Using an unmodified crossbow.
Other Pertinent Information
Hunting seasons when a modified crossbow is permitted:
- Small game - any season
- Big game -
- regular firearms season
- bowhunting season
- late muzzleloader season
How to Apply
- Have a current year NYS hunting license.
- Have two 2" x 2" passport type photographs for your ID card. (Follow passport photo requirements (link leaves DEC website) established by U.S. Department of State).
- Complete and submit the Modified Crossbow Permit Application (PDF, 138 KB)
- A licensed physician will need to complete and sign a section of the application.
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 175: Special Licenses and Permits - Definitions and Uniform Procedures (link leaves DEC website)
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
- 11-0901(15): Prohibitions (link leaves DEC website)
DEC Special Licenses Unit
Address: 625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for hunters with disability:
- Modified Longbow Authorization - allows hunters with a physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to use a bow equipped with a mechanical device for holding and releasing the bowstring.
- Non Ambulatory Hunter License - authorizes hunters with a physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to hunt with a firearm from a motorized vehicle during hunting seasons.