License to Possess and Sell
Statutory Authority: ECL 11-0515 and 6 NYCRR Part 175
A License to Possess and/or Sell is issued to qualified individuals to possess fish, wildlife, shellfish, crustaceans or aquatic insects and allow sale. This license will be issued only for the following purposes: Scientific, Exhibition, or Propagation.
- Native wildlife may not be kept as pets in New York State.
- Animals possessed under a License to Possess and Sell may only be sold to individuals, in New York, who posses a valid license for propagation, scientific, or exhibition purposes.
- A different permit is required for the possession of Threatened or Endangered species.
- Federal permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or USDA may also be required depending on species and activity.
- This license expires 1 year from date of issuance.
- There is a $10.00 fee for this License.
Please contact the Special Licenses Unit with any questions or concerns, or to apply for this permit.
Special Licenses Unit
Albany, NY 12233-4752
List of applicable Laws and Regulations
- New York Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) to read visit the Department of State website at http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menuf.cgi
- New York Codes Rules and Regulations (6NYCRR)