Modified Longbow Authorization
What This Authorization Allows
Individuals with a permanent or temporary physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) may:
- Use a longbow, recurve or compound bow that has been equipped with a mechanical device attached to the handle or riser for holding and releasing the bowstring. (Examples: Draw-Loc; Pullin Archery; Bow Pro)
- Use the modified bow during small game and big game seasons when bowhunting is permitted.
What This Authorization Does Not Allow
- Use of crossbows or modified crossbows.
How to Get Authorized For Modified Longbow Use
- Complete the Modified Longbow Authorization Form (PDF, 952kb)
- A licensed physician will need to complete and sign a section of this form.
- Note: If you have a Modified Archery Permit that is still valid you are already authorized to use a modified longbow and do not need to complete the Modified Longbow Authorization Form.
- Have a current year NYS hunting license and bowhunting privilege.
- Carry the completed Modified Longbow Authorization Form (or previous Modified Archery Permit) and appropriate hunting licenses with you while hunting afield with a modified longbow.
- Abide by the rules and regulations in the annual New York State Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 175: Special Licenses and Permits - Definitions and Uniform Procedures
- Section 2.4: Authorization to Use a Longbow Equipped with a Mechanical Device
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
- 11-0901(15): Prohibitions (External Link)
DEC Special Licenses Unit
Address: 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for hunters with disability:
- Modified Crossbow Permit - authorizes individuals with a severe permanent physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to use a crossbow equipped with a breath-tube apparatus for releasing the bowstring.
- Non-Ambulatory Hunter License - authorizes individuals with a physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to hunt with a firearm from a motorized vehicle during hunting seasons.