Field Trial License
This license authorizes pursuing wild game or propagated game at a competitive event sanctioned by a national, regional or local kennel, bird dog club or other organized dog hunting club to evaluate the field performance of hunting dogs.
- Wild game field trial: July 1 - August 15
- Propagated game field trial: January 1 - December 31
What This License Allows:
Wild game field trial license:
- Pursuing select "wild game" (defined below) from July 1 to August 15 to evaluate a hunting dog's performance. (Note: Field trials may be held on wild game on a licensed dog training area without a field trial license from August 16 to April 15.)
Propagated game field trial license
- Releasing "propagated game" (defined below) to evaluate a hunting dog's performance.
- Shooting released propagated game in areas other than a dog training area.
What This License Does Not Allow:
- Shooting wild game.
- Shooting any game on a licensed dog training area.
- Releasing captive-bred mammals.
- Releasing or taking pigeons.
Other Pertinent Information
Propagated game species that may be acquired from a licensed domestic game bird breeder and released during a field trial include:
Wild game species that may be pursued during a field trial include:
Field Trials Held on State Land
If a field trial is conducted on New York State lands or conservation easement lands, a Temporary Revocable Permit is needed.
Note: A hunting license is not required when participating in a field trial at any time of year whether on propagated game or wild game, whether during open hunting seasons or closed seasons.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit the Field Trial License Application (PDF) (270 kb).
Renewing & Reporting
A renewal form will be sent by mail prior to the license expiration date noted on the license. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to the expiration date, please contact us.
Carcass Identification Form
A Carcass Identification Form (PDF) (850 kb) is required for propagated game license holders to complete when any propagated game bird or carcass is taken from the field trial location.
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 175: Special Licenses and Permits - Definitions and Uniform Procedures
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
- 11-0507 - Liberation of Fish, Shellfish and Wildlife (External Link)
- 11-0927 - Field Trials (External Link)
DEC Special Licenses Unit
Address: 625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for permitting the use of tracking or hunting dogs on wildlife or game: