Field Trial License
This license authorizes pursuing wild game or propagated game at a competitive event sanctioned by a national, regional or local kennel, bird dog club or other organized dog hunting club to evaluate the field performance of hunting dogs.
|No Fee||April - August 15 Wild game field trial|
|January 1 - December 31 Propagated game field trial|
What This License Allows:
Wild game field trial license:
- Pursuing select "wild game" (defined below) from April 16 to August 15 to evaluate a hunting dog's performance.
Propagated game field trial license
- Releasing "propagated game" (defined below) to evaluate a hunting dog's performance.
- Shooting released propagated game in areas other than a dog training area.
What This License Does Not Allow:
- Shooting wild game.
- Shooting any game on a dog training area.
- Releasing captive-bred mammals.
- Releasing or taking pigeons.
Other Pertinent Information
Propagated game species that may be acquired from a licensed domestic game bird breeder and released during a field trial include:
- Gray partridge
Wild game species that may be pursued during a field trial include:
- Eastern cottontail
- Snowshoe hare
- Gray fox
- American woodcock
- Red fox
- Ruffed grouse
Field Trials Held on State Land
If a field trial is conducted on New York State lands or conservation easement lands, a Temporary Revocable Permit is needed.
Note: A hunting license is not required when participating in a field trial at any time of year whether on propagated game or wild game, whether during open hunting seasons or closed seasons.
How to Apply
Complete and submit the Field Trial License Application (PDF) (142 KB).
Renewing & Reporting
- Field Trial Propagated Game - this license is an annual renewable license. A renewal form will be sent by mail prior to the December 31 expiration date. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to expiration, please contact us.
- Field Trial Wild Game - this license is a seasonal license and is not renewable. In order to receive authorization for Field Trials on Wild Game in subsequent years, a new application must be filed with the department.
Carcass Identification Form
A Carcass Identification Form (PDF) (107KB) is required for propagated game Field Trial license holders to complete when any propagated game bird or carcass is taken from the field trial location.
Laws & Regulations
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
Please visit New York State Legislature Website (Leaves DEC website)
- 11-0507 Liberation of Fish, Shellfish and Wildlife
- 11-0927 Field Trials
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 175 Special Licenses and Permits - Definitions and Uniform Procedures (Leaves DEC website)
DEC Special Licenses Unit
625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for permitting the use of tracking or hunting dogs on wildlife or game: