Captive Bred White-tailed Deer License
This license authorizes individuals to breed captive white-tailed deer and operate a commercial or private deer hunting preserve. Licensed individuals must be the owner or lessee of the facility premises.
- Class A (Commercial) License Fee: $200
- Class B (Private/Personal Use) License Fee: $40
What This License Allows:
Class A (Commercial):
- All the same activities as Class B below, plus: Selling captive-bred deer, dead or alive to other licensed domestic white-tailed deer breeders.
Class B (Personal/Private Use):
- Purchasing captive-bred deer from Class A license holders.
- Breeding and transporting captive-bred white-tailed deer for personal use.
What This License Does Not Allow:
- Releasing white-tailed deer into the wild.
- Class B license holders only: selling captive-bred deer.
Other Pertinent Information
How to Apply
- Contact the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets at 518-457-3502 to:
- Enroll in the Chronic Wasting Disease Herd Certification Program
- Have your facility and perimeter fencing inspected
- Complete and submit the Captive Bred White-tailed Deer License Application (PDF) (130KB)
Renewing & Reporting
Licenses expire on March 31 every fifth year after the license was issued. A renewal form will be sent by mail prior to the license expiration date noted on the license. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to the expiration date, please contact us.
Complete the appropriate report form for you license class and submit by March 31 each year:
- Class A Annual Report Form and Instructions (PDF) (128KB)
- Class B Annual Report Form and Instructions (PDF) (110KB)
Carcass Identification Form
A Carcass Identification Form (PDF) (107KB) is required to complete when any animal or carcass leaves the licensed premises.
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 153: Preserve Licenses
- Part 175: Special Licenses and Permits - Definitions and Uniform Procedures
- Part 189: Chronic Wasting Disease
- 1NYCRR: Part 68: Captive Cervid Health Requirements (External link to NYS Dept. of State website)
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
DEC Special Licenses Unit
Address: 625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for permitting breeding of captive-bred animals: