Dangerous Wildlife License
Statutory Authority: ECL 3-0301, 11-0325, 11-0511 and 6 NYCRR Part 175 and Part 180
No person may possess, release, transport, import or export, or cause to be released, transported, imported, or exported, any of the following live wildlife:
- All subspecies of the lion, (Panthera leo)
- The raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonides)
- Any Wolf/Dog hybrid
- Any animal, whose overall appearance makes it difficult, or impossible to distinguish from a wolf (Canis lupis), or a coyote (Canis latrans).
These animals present a danger to the health and welfare of the people of New York State, and its indigenous wildlife populations.
- Native wildlife may not be kept as pets in New York State.
- Licenses for these animals will be issued for scientific, educational, and exhibitory purposes only.
- Federal permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or USDA may also be required depending on species and activity.
- This license expires annually on date of issuance.
- There is a $10.00 licensing fee per animal.
Please contact the Special Licenses Unit with any questions or concerns or to apply for this permit.
Special Licenses Unit
Albany, NY 12233-4752
List of applicable Laws and Regulations
New York Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
Please visit New York State Legislature Website (Leaves DEC website)
- 03-0301 General functions, powers and duties of the department and the commissioner.
- 11-0325 Control of dangerous diseases.
- 11-0511 Possession and transportation of wildlife.
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (6NYCRR)
- Part 175 Special Licenses and Permits--Definition and Uniform Procedures (Leaves DEC website)
- Part 180 Miscellaneous Regulations (Leaves DEC website)