Bird Breeder License
Statutory Authority: ECL 11-1728 and 6 NYCRR Part 174 and Part 175
The Department may issue a New York State Bird Breeder License permitting the sale and exhibition of captive bred birds. The birds must be marked as regulated in 6 NYCRR Part 174.
The following species may be sold unmarked and without a permit. Diamond dove, Cockatiel, Crimson rosella, Eastern rosella, Pale-headed (Blue) rosella, Red-rumped parakeet, Bourke's parrot, Budgerigar, Blue-masked lovebird, Zebra finch, Gouldian finch, Society finch, Java sparrow, and Common canary.
- Native wildlife may not be kept as pets in New York State.
- This license is valid for 5 years.
- There is a $100.00 fee for this license.
Please contact the Special Licenses Unit with any questions or concerns about qualifying or applying for this license. To apply for this license complete the Bird Breeder License Application (PDF, 19.2 kb), and send with a check or money order for the appropriate amount to the Department of Environmental Conservation Special Licenses Unit.
Special Licenses Unit
Albany, NY 12233-4752
List of applicable Laws and Regulations
- New York Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) to read visit Department of State website at http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menuf.cgi
- New York Codes Rules and Regulations (6NYCRR)