Pesticide Applicator/Technician Guidance
Individuals may become certified as commercial pesticide applicators, commercial pesticide technicians and/or private pesticide applicators. The type of applications that a person may perform is dependent on the applicator's certification. The pesticide applicator requirements are explained in detail in Title 6 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York Part 325 Application of Pesticides.
The Department would like to introduce Phase 1 of the "New York State Pesticide Administration Database" (NYSPAD) portal. You may access information regarding pesticide: applicators/technicians, training courses, training course instructors/sponsors and certification/recertification exams. Phase 2 of NYSPAD will allow access to the business/agency registration information and will be available in the near future.
- Applicator/Technician Certification - Who needs it, how to qualify, the fees involved, renewal/recertification requirements and other useful information.
- Aquatic Anti-Fouling Paint Applicator - Requirements to become and/or recertify an aquatic anti-fouling paint applicator certification.
- Categories of Pesticide Certification - A brief description of each certification category and the number of credits needed for recertification.
- NYSPAD (New York State Pesticide Administration Database) - Portal used to find a variety of pesticide related information:
- Pesticide Professionals - Look up an individual applicator/technician for certification category or to ensure certification is valid/current.
- Exams - Find upcoming exam locations and times, exam procedures, exam registration form and the felon information checklist.
- Courses - Department approved pesticide training courses for either exam eligibility or recertification.
- Annual Reports (PRL) - How and where to submit your annual usage/sales report and instructions to settle a reporting violation.
- Business/Agency Pesticide Information - For businesses or agencies who wish to apply pesticide products and/or sell restricted use pesticides.
- Clean SweepNY - Project for the removal and disposal of unwanted chemicals.
- Commercial Lawn Application Resources:
- Pest Management for Schools, Day Care Centers and Parents - Information regarding pesticide prohibition on grounds at schools and day care centers, alternative pest management and the pesticide Neighbor Notification Law.
- Pesticide Statutes, Regulations and Policies - Compliance assistance for the distribution, sale, use and transportation of pesticides.
Pesticides Updates Listserv
To sign up for Pesticides Updates, subscribe to GovDelivery! This will take you to the "Quick Subscription" page where you will see all the topics that you can receive email updates on from DEC. Scroll to the "Prevent and Control Pollution" category and check the box next to "Pesticides." You will receive a welcome email from DEC confirming your subscription(s).
More about Pesticide Applicator/Technician Guidance:
- Pesticide Applicator/Technician Certification - Information detailing the current pesticide certification requirements.
- Aquatic Anti-Fouling Paint Applicator Certification - Requirements to become and/or recertify an aquatic anti-fouling paint applicator certification.
- Certification Categories and Credit Requirements - Listing of categories and credits required for pesticide recertification.