Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Liberation of Wildlife Biological Control License

License Details

This license authorizes releasing bio-control organisms into the wild for controlling invasive species, such as mile-a-minute weed and knapweed. (Note: DEC issues a different license for the control of purple loosestrife)

Fee License Duration
No Fee 1 year

What This License Allows:

Transporting and releasing bio-control species authorized by DEC into the wild.

What This License Does Not Allow:

Selling or exhibiting species

Other Pertinent Information

  • Releasing on State Land: If releasing wildlife on New York State lands or conservation easement lands, a Temporary Revocable Permit is needed.
  • Landowner Permission: If releasing wildlife on private land other than the licensee's own property, permission from the landowner is needed.

How to Apply

  1. Have a USDA APHIS Plant Protection & Quarantine (PPQ) 526 permit (Leaves DEC website) for biological control
  2. Complete a study design, which includes the following details:
    • Species
    • Number to be released
    • Where species will be acquired
    • Location(s) and dates of release
    • Follow-up/monitoring methods after release
  3. Current research/literature on organism to be released
  4. Researcher(s) Curriculum Vitae
  5. Complete and submit the Liberation of Wildlife Bio Control License Application (PDF) (255KB)

Renewing & Reporting

License Renewal

These licenses are for one-time release and are not renewable. A new application must be submitted for releasing wildlife in subsequent years.

Annual Reporting

A written annual report is required for all biological control releases in New York State.
The report must contain:

  • The species and quantities released
  • Locations and dates of release
  • Results from follow-up monitoring, including survivability of the released species and their impact on target and non-target species.

Laws & Regulations

Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)

Please visit New York State Legislature (Leaves DEC website)

  • 11-0507 Liberation of Fish, Shellfish and Wildlife
  • 09-1303 Forest Insects and Other Forest Tree Diseases

Contact Information

DEC Special Licenses Unit
625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
(518) 402-8985

Other Related or Similar Licenses

DEC also issues the following licenses for permitting the release of wildlife for biological control:

  • PDF Help
  • For help with PDFs on this page, please call 518-402-8985.
  • Contact for this Page
  • NYSDEC Fish and Wildlife
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-4752
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions