Hunting is among the most popular forms of wildlife recreation in New York State. Nearly 700,000 New Yorkers and over 50,000 nonresidents hunt in the Empire State. New York offers many exciting opportunities to hunt a large variety of wildlife, including big game, small game, game birds and furbearers.
See Governor Cuomo's press release announcing "NY Open for Fishing and Hunting," a plan to streamline hunting and fishing licenses and reduce license fees to support tourism opportunities and benefit sportsmen and sportswomen throughout the state.
Hunter and Trapper Education
A sportsman's education class is required for all new hunters and trappers.
Sportsman education certificates from all other states are valid in New York and are required
for the purchase of a hunting or trapping license.
Opportunities for Junior Hunters and Trappers
Places to Hunt
Find land open to public hunting in your area and view or download maps.
Always ask permission before hunting regardless of whether the land is posted.
Free Mobile App
Use the NY Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife mobile app to find a favorite hunting spot
Report Your Deer, Bear or Turkey Harvest
Report your deer, bear, or turkey harvest via phone or internet.
It's not just the law, it's good management!
Get the latest harvest reports for:
- Deer and Bear Harvest
- Spring Turkey Harvest
- Fall Turkey Harvest
Hunting and Trapping Photo Gallery
View the photo galleries of junior hunters and trappers and adults who have harvested their first big or small game animal.
See the Contributor's Guide to share your photos.
New York Hunting and Trapping Guide
View the 2014-15 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide. Season dates and regulations can also be found at the links above.
Get Notified with DEC's E-mail News
Sign up to recieve e-mail news from DEC to stay informed and up-to-date on hunting and trapping in New York State!
Watch a clip about turkey hunting on DEC TV.
More about Hunting:
- Hunting & Trapping Regulations Guide - New York State Hunting & Trapping Guide.
- Hunting Seasons - Links to hunting season information for big and small game species.
- Hunting Regulations - Regulations applying to all hunting in New York State; regulations for specific game species are found under Small Game, Furbearers, Big Game, Migratory Game Bird and Trapping
- Sportsman Education - All first-time hunters, bowhunters and trappers must pass one or more courses before they can get a license in New York State. The courses are free of charge. Trained instructors certified by the Department of Environmental Conservation teach safe and responsible outdoors practices and the important role of hunters in conservation.
- Places to Hunt in New York - Places to Hunt
- Game Harvest Reporting - If you take a deer, bear, or turkey, you are required by law to report your take via the DECALS system.
- Deer and Bear Hunting - Links to information about hunting for deer and bear in New York State
- Turkey Hunting - Turkey hunting opportunities, safety, and regulations
- Small Game Hunting - A synopsis of New York State regulations for hunting small game and furbearers
- Waterfowl and Migratory Game Bird Hunting - A summary of State and Federal rules that apply to the taking, possession, shipping, transporting and storing of migratory waterfowl
- Furbearer Hunting - General information for hunting furbearers including red and gray fox, coyote, bobcat, raccoon, skunk, mink, weasel, and opossum.
- Opportunities for Junior Hunters & Trappers - Special seasons and programs for junior hunters (ages 12-15) and trappers (under 12 years old)
- Hunting & Trapping Photo Gallery - DEC has created a photo gallery for junior hunters (ages 12-15), young trappers (under age 16), and hunters who have harvested their first big or small game animal.