New York State has some of the finest fishing in the country. There is world class fishing for a wide variety of coldwater, warmwater and saltwater fish species. Whether it's smallmouth bass fishing on Lake Erie, brook trout fishing on a crystal clear Adirondack lake, Pacific salmon fishing on Lake Ontario, fishing for stripers on the Hudson River, brown trout fishing on the Beaver Kill or fishing for bluefish in Montauk's surf, there's something special here for everyone. With more than 7,500 lakes and ponds, 70,000 miles of rivers and streams, and hundreds of miles of coastline, fishing opportunities are always nearby!
See Governor Cuomo's press release announcing "NY Open for Fishing and Hunting," a plan to streamline hunting and fishing licenses and reduce license fees to support tourism opportunities and benefit sportsmen and sportswomen throughout the state.
Places to Fish
Freshwater Places to Fish
Great Lakes Fishing
Public Fishing Stream maps
Lake Contour Maps
Public boat launch sites
Get Maps: Google Maps locations to Public fishing streams, boat launches and lake contour maps.
Saltwater Places to Fish: The NYC Saltwater Fishing Guide will help shore anglers find a good fishing spot in NYC.
Free Mobile App
Use the NY Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife mobile app to find a favorite fishing spot
Visit the Commercial Fishing page for information on commercial fishing activities in New York's marine and coastal district.
Get Notified with DEC's E-mail News
Sign up to receive e-mail news from DEC to stay informed and up-to-date on fishing in New York State!
Watch a clip about fly fishing and check out other fishing clips on DEC TV.
More about Fishing:
- Saltwater Fishing - The marine waters of New York host varied and exciting fishing opportunities.
- #IFISHNY Challenge - Use the #IFISHNY hashtag to share your largemouth or striped bass photos and win prizes from NYSDEC.
- Public Input on Fishing Regulations - Information on formally proposed freshwater fishing regulations and fishing regulations the DEC is considering to formally propose.
- Freshwater Fishing Regulations - Information on New York State's Freshwater Fishing Regulations.
- Fishing Hotlines/News - The fishing hotlines provide weekly updates on information such as fishing locations, fishing conditions, and types of fish found in the waters of New York State.
- Places to Fish - Fishing information on numerous great fishing spots located around the state, including PDFs of lake contour maps and Publish Fishing rights maps.
- Learn to Fish - Learn how to fish in NY.
- Fish Stocking - Information on where DEC stocks the over one million pounds of fish it raises in the hatchery system.
- Fish Hatcheries - DEC operates 12 fish hatcheries where numerous fish species are reared for stocking into more than 1,200 public waters across the State.
- Biologist Reports - Summary and final reports of fisheries reseach that has been conducted in New York.
- Fish Health Advisories - A summary of information regarding fish consumption advisories issued by the Department of Health.
- Angler Awards - Information about New York's Angler Achievement Awards program.
- Contact DEC Fisheries/ Regional Information - Information for contacting the Bureau of Fisheries.