Rent a boat, go swimming or just enjoy the peaceful setting and
beauty of DEC's Mongaup Pond campground in the Catskills.
DEC operates 52 campgrounds located in the Adirondack and Catskill Parks. DEC campgrounds provide a wide variety of experiences, including island camping, tent and trailer camping, boat launching facilities, hiking trails, beaches and day use areas with picnic tables and grills. Fishing licenses are no longer being sold at any of our campground facilities.
State Campgrounds Outside the Adirondacks and Catskills
State campgrounds outside the Adirondack Forest Preserve and Catskill Forest Preserve are operated by the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP). For more information call (518) 474-0456.
Back Country Camping
Find the perfect, private
campsite in the back country.
Back country, or primitive camping, is permitted on most lands managed by DEC including Forest Preserve lands in the Adirondack and Catskill Parks as well as State Forests.
Our regional offices and forest rangers can provide more information about back country camping opportunities.
Important Notice about Firewood: To help protect our forests from invasive species, new firewood regulations are now in effect. Please see Firewood and Invasive Insects for more information.
Please note this is a large file.
For easier download, we have broken up the file into 4 smaller sections:
- Part 1 (PDF) - Campgrounds in the Adirondacks, Allegany Region, the Catskills and Central Region (4.09 MB)
- Part 2 (PDF) - Campgrounds in the Finger Lakes Region, Genesee Region, Long Island, Niagara Region, the Palisades, Saratoga, Taconic, and Thousand Islands (4.73 MB)
- New York State Camping Map (PDF) (990 KB)
- Rental, Reservation and other Information (PDF) (3.32 MB)
To order a paper copy, email us or call 518-457-2500. Check it out and plan your trip of a lifetime!
Visit DEC Campgrounds on Facebook!
Download DEC's free app to locate a fishing, hunting or watchable wildlife spot
near you using advanced GPS mapping features
More about Camping:
- Campground Virtual Tours - Discover DEC Campgrounds through 360 panoramic virtual tours
- Camping Gift Card - Camping Gift Card, camping, DEC campgrounds, DEC Camping Gift Card, DEC
- DEC Campgrounds - Camping in New York State - Department of Environmental Conservation facilities
- 2016 Campground Schedule - A table that shows all DEC campground schedules.
- Campground Reservations - Making reservations to camp at DEC campgrounds.
- Campsite Restoration Project - The Campsite Restoration Project is an effort to rehabilitate our 6000+ campsites at all of our campgrounds.
- Campground Rules and Regulations - Rules and Regulations on Camping in New York State - Department of Environmental Conservation facilities.
- Campground FAQs - Frequently asked questions about DEC campgrounds.
- Swimming at DEC Campgrounds - Many of DEC's campgrounds have beaches for swimming. Beach hours are posted at these facilities.
- State Land Camping and Hiking Rules - Rules for camping on DEC managed public lands.
- Primitive Camping - Back country camping, also known as primitive camping, a self-dependent experience in which campers carry in and out their supplies and tents in order to reach more remote or secluded forest areas and where a leave-no-trace philosophy is expected.
- Firewood Restriction Area Maps - According to State and federal regulations, it is illegal to transport untreated firewood more than 50 miles from its source and into New York State. The purpose of these regulations is to prevent the spread of invasive pests and diseases.
- Fire Safety When Camping - Safety tips when burning outdoors