Butternut Creek, located in Onondaga County, begins near Apulia Station, flows through Jamesville Reservoir, and then combines with Chittenago Creek at Minoa. Both wild and stocked brown trout, stocked brook trout and the occasional wild brook trout can be found in this small to medium sized stream.
There are 8.1 miles of Public Fishing Rights (PFR's) along the stream and seven official PFR parking areas.
- Dodge Road From Lafayette take Route 20 east approximately .5 miles to Dodge Road. Continue .75 miles on Dodge Road to parking area.
- Apulia Road From Dodge Road parking area go back west and take right onto Apulia Road. Head north .65 miles to parking area access road on right.
- Colton Road From Apulia Road parking area continue north on Apulia Road for 1 mile. Take right onto Colton Road.
- Cascade Road From Lafayette take Route 20 east 1.5 miles to Apulia Road. Take Apulia Road south .75 miles and take left onto Cascade Road.
- Clark Hollow Road 1 From Cascade Road parking area continue east on Cascade Road. Take right onto Clark Hollow Road, 1.15 miles to parking area.
- Clark Hollow Road 2 From Clark Hollow Road 1 continue south for .8 miles to parking area.
- Route 20 From LaFayette take Route 20 east approximately 2 miles to parking area.
Brown trout, brook trout, and white sucker.
General Fishing Information
The upper section of stream is small and brushed line. Most of the fishing pressure takes place during spring and early-summer shortly after the trout are stocked. The section of Butternut Creek from its mouth (where it combines with Chittenango Creek) to Route 20 is open to trout fishing year-round. Anglers have the opportunity to fish this section during the winter and early spring. When fishing during these cold water periods, concentrate on the deeper holes, fish slowly and keep baits near bottom. Sometimes fishing during the mid-day period after things have had a chance to warm up a little also helps.
Special fishing regulations apply (leaving DEC website to official Fishing Regulations Guide vendor website).
Butternut Creek is stocked annually by Onondaga County's Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery with around 5,200 one year-old brown trout (8-9"), 2,400 two year-old brown trout (12-14") and 600 brook trout (8-10").