NY.gov Portal State Agency Listing Search all of NY.gov
D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

Canadian Hunters Rules on Gun Importation

Effective February 19, 2002 to bring a rifle or shotgun into New York to hunt, U.S. Customs now requires that ALL NONIMMIGRANT ALIENS:

  • Possess a hunting license before entering New York State.
  • Have an approved Form 6 Import Permit from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF).

Apply early! Six to 12 weeks are needed to get this permit.

For more information see:
BATF webpage on Import Regulations (see link on right)
Call the BATF at 202-927-8320

You can print an Import Permit (for sporting purposes) directly from the BATF website.