Chautauqua Lake Fish & Wildlife Management Area
Size: 123 acres
Chautauqua Lake F&WMA is located six miles northwest of the City of Jamestown on Chautauqua Lake in Chautauqua County. The F&WMA encompasses three sites: Tom's Point, Cheney Farm and Stow Farm.
Day Use Activities and Recreational Opportunities
Chautauqua Lake F&WMA lake access.
- Wildlife Observation
A few activities are prohibited: off road vehicular travel, swimming, boating with motors and camping.
The diverse habitat on the area is home to a variety of wildlife species. Some of the more common species are beaver, muskrat, mink, raccoon, fox, squirrel, deer, waterfowl and a variety of song birds.
Early Holland Land Company records indicate that the areas around Chautauqua Lake were primarily forested in the early 1800's. By the late 1800's and early 1900's, the areas were cleared and dairy farming was the primary land use until the late 1960's. Also, during that time many areas were cleared for development.
An accessible trail and combination hunting blind/observation deck was developed on the Stow Farm site. This will provide access to the lake for waterfowl hunting and wildlife observation.
Management goals for this area reflect those of the Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources goals.
- To promote natural propagation and maintenance of desirable species in ecological balance,
- To provide optimum public access to natural resources compatible with wildlife,
- To manage resources at optimum quantity and quality for recreational use and maximum public benefit.
Habitat management activities include grassland maintenance.
For more information, call or write to:
Region 9 Wildlife Manager
182 East Union Street, Suite 3
Allegany, NY 14706
Cheney Farm site is located two miles south of the Village of Bemus Point on the west side of NYS Route 430 in the town of Ellery. Stow Farm site is located on the east side of Route 394 about 1.5 miles south of the intersection of Interstate 86 in the Town of North Harmony. Tom's Point site is also located on the east side of Route 394 nine miles northwest of the city of Jamestown in the Town of North Harmony.