Freshwater Fishing Regulations
The New York State Fishing Regulations are available as both web pages (regulations only) and as a printable PDF (fishing regulations guide). In addition, the fishing regulations guide is available to be viewed off site with an interactive viewer.
How to find freshwater fishing regulations
- Review the Statewide Angling Regulations.
- Review Special Regulations by County.
- Review any appropriate special waters regulations:
- If the water you intend to fish is not among the waters named above or in the Special Regulations by County, then Statewide Angling Regulations apply.
- Consult the Fishing License page to determine if you need a fishing license.
Other Considerations While Fishing
Review Fish Health Advisories (leaving DEC website) to be better informed about the fish you may keep and eat.
Review Fish Health Regulations to better understand the regulations designed to protect healthy fish populations.
Review Fishing Responsibly in New York State for tips on reducing your impact on the environment and reporting fishing violations.
Questions Regarding Regulations
View or Print the 2013-14 Fishing Regulations Guide (current guide)
(In effect through Sept. 30, 2014)
The 2013/14 Fishing Regulations Guide contains the fishing regulations that became effective on October 1, 2013. In order to reduce printing costs, the guide was printed in a magazine format with advertising (advertising is not included in the website PDF). There are two types of electronic versions of the guide you can access. You can choose to view the guide through an interactive viewer (leaves DEC website) or directly download the PDF.
Click image for an Interactive Viewer
of the NY Freshwater Fishing Guide.
The Viewer goes off DEC's website.
New York Freshwater Fishing 2013-14 Official Regulations Guide (PDF) (5.3 MB) - Complete guide (without advertisements)
Warning! This is a large document and may be slow to download.
- Fishing Regulations Only (PDF) (2.9 MB)
- Articles (PDF) (2.3 MB)
- Angler Achievement Awards (PDF) (245 KB)
- Environmental Conservation Officers (PDF) (106 KB)
- Salmon River Fishing Regulations Summary (PDF) (1.7 MB)
- Great Lakes and Tributaries Fishing Regulations Summary (PDF) (956 KB)
Fish Heath Collectors
Review the Fish Heath Collectors List page for a list of people certified to collect fish for disease testing.