Freshwater Fishing Regulations
The New York State Fishing Regulations are available as both web pages (regulations only) and as a printable PDF (fishing regulations guide). In addition, the fishing regulations guide is available to be viewed off site with an interactive viewer.
How to find freshwater fishing regulations
Review the Statewide Angling Regulations.
- Definitions and General Regulations (includes ice fishing regs)
- Baitfish Regulations
- Great Lakes and Tributary Regulations
- Tidal Hudson River Regulations
- Finger Lakes and Tributary Regulations
- Lake Champlain Regulations
- Border Waters Regulations
- New York City Reservoir Regulations
- Special Regulations by County
- If the water you intend to fish is not among the waters named above, or in the Special Regulations by County, then Statewide Angling Regulations apply.
- Consult the Fishing License page to determine if you need a fishing license.
You can also review Highlights of 2010 - 2012 Fishing Regulation Changes for regulations changes made in the last round of regulation changes.
Other Considerations While Fishing
Review Fish Health Advisories to be better informed about the fish you may keep and eat.
Review Fish Health Regulations to better understand the regulations designed to protect healthy fish populations.
Review Fishing Responsibly in New York State for tips on reducing your impact on the environment and reporting fishing violations.
Questions Regarding Regulations
View or Print the 2012-13 Fishing Regulations Guide (current guide)
(In effect through Sept. 30, 2013)
The 2012/13 Fishing Regulations Guide contains the fishing regulations that became effective on October 1, 2012. In order to reduce printing costs, the guide was printed in a magazine format with advertising (advertising is not included in the website PDF). There are two types of electronic versions of the guide you can access. You can choose to view the guide through an interactive viewer (leaves DEC website) or directly download the PDF.
New York Freshwater Fishing 2012-13 Official Regulations Guide (PDF) (7.8 MB) - Complete guide (without advertisements)
Warning! This is a large document and may be slow to download.
- Fishing Regulations Only (PDF) (4.4 MB)
- Special Regulations by County (PDF) (2.5 MB)
Articles (PDF) (2.8 MB)
Angler Achievement Awards (PDF) (1.2 MB)
2011 Fish Health Advisories (PDF) (1.0 MB)
Fish Heath Collectors
Review the Fish Heath Collectors List page for a list of people certified to collect fish for disease testing.