Deer and Bear Hunting
Hunting Deer in New York
Deer hunting is one of the most popular sporting opportunities in New York State. Properly controlled deer hunting is an important tool in managing deer populations; striking a balance in wildlife and habitat resources. Deer populations have been on the upswings since the turn of the 20th century through carefully monitored hunting regulations and improved habitat. Some deer hunting related topic, precautions, programs and data are provided on this page for your reference. More information about deer and deer management can be found on our White-tailed Deer page
Hunting Bear in New York
New York State has between 6,000 to 7,000 black bears in the wild. In recent years, black bear numbers have increased and bear populations have become more widely distributed across the state. Hunting is the primary management tool to control the bear population, and bear hunting is permitted in the fall throughout portions of northern, southeastern and central-western New York. More information about bears and bear management can be found on our Black Bear page.
Bear hunters may also be interested to read the booklet, Hunting the Black Bear in New York (PDF) (959 kB).
Download DEC's free app for species and regulation information, locate a hunting
spot near you using advanced GPS mapping features
Joshua Shafer, 1st Deer
Columbia County, 2010
Big Game Email List
Join New York Big Game to periodically receive information about bear and deer biology, management, research, regulations and hunting in New York State. To join, subscribe to GovDelivery and sign up for updates on hunting and trapping.
Big Game Photo Gallery
Share and view photos of junior hunters or others who have taken their first white-tailed deer or black bear in New York in our Big Game Photo Gallery. Read our Contributor's Guide for instructions on submitting photos.
More about Deer and Bear Hunting:
- Deer and Bear Hunting Seasons - Maps and Tables displaying the hunting seasons for white-tailed deer and black bear in New York.
- Deer and Bear Hunting Regulations - Information and links to big game hunting regulations
- Deer Management Permits (DMPs) - Deer Management Permits (DMP) application deadline and information about DMPs.
- Junior Hunter Mentoring Program - This page describes the big game hunting opportunities for junior hunters.
- Deer Management Focus Areas - This program uses intensified hunting to assist communities with the burden of overabundant deer populations. Hunters may obtain information about the program and register to participate from this page.
- Deer Hunting Season Forecasts - What to expect for deer hunting this season.
- Buck Harvest Management - Information about buck harvest strategies in New York and efforts to reduce harvest of young bucks.
- Deer and Bear Harvests - This page contains links to recent white-tailed deer and black bear harvest reports.
- Public Input and Surveys on Deer and Bear Hunting - Results of surveys of deer and bear hunters' opinions about important issues, hunting participation, and trends in characteristics of hunters.
- Venison Donation Program - Information about programs that promote the donation of venison to feed the hungry
- Ammunition: Non-lead or Lead? - This page provides information for hunters and meat processors about lead fragments in hunter-harvested venison and gives tips for reducing potential lead exposure.