New York Angler Achievement Awards Program
Each year, New York State's lakes, rivers, ponds, and streams produce large numbers of trophy-sized fish. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's Angler Achievement Awards Program recognizes exceptional catches in several categories.
Have you Caught a Big Fish Lately? If so, you may qualify for an award.
The Annual Award recognizes the anglers who caught the three heaviest fish of the year for 43 different species. Each fish entered must meet or exceed the minimum qualifying weights. The winning anglers are awarded an Angler Achievement Award lapel pin. The angler entering the heaviest fish in each species category also receives a Certificate of Achievement suitable for framing.
Catch and Release
The Catch-and-Release awards commend the actions of anglers who return their qualifying catch to the water. This category is limited to 21 major gamefish species. Qualifying anglers are awarded a distinctive Catch-and-Release award lapel pin.
If you catch a really big fish, you may have a new State Record. The State Record Program recognizes those anglers who break current New York State records for any of the 45 eligible fish species. Anglers receive a custom engraved plaque, an Angler Achievement Award lapel pin, and a Certificate of Achievement.
How Do You Participate?
To participate in New York State's Angler Achievement Awards Program, simply follow these guidelines:
- Fish must be taken by angling in New York State waters in accordance with New York State fishing regulations.
- Fish must meet the minimum qualifying weight or length for that species and the entered category.
- Fish entered in the Annual Award and State Record categories must be weighed on a certified scale by the owner of the scale or an employee, and must be witnessed by at least one other person.
- Fish submitted as a potential State Record entry must be identified by a DEC biologist or a designee.
- Qualifying fish must be entered on an official entry form or facsimile.
- All entries must be accompanied by a clear, sideview photograph of the fish or the angler with the fish.
- Entry forms must be received by DEC's Bureau of Fisheries within 30 days of the catch.
For more specific information on the rules, see Rules for Entry. Download the Entry Form (PDF) (60 KB) here or you can obtain one from any DEC Regional Fisheries Office, or by writing to: NYSDEC, Bureau of Fisheries, 625 Broadway, Albany, New York 12233-4753.
Remember, if you catch a trophy fish in New York State water, DEC wants to hear about it!!!
More about New York Angler Achievement Awards Program:
- Angler Achievement Awards Program Rules of Entry - Angler Achievement Awards Program Rules of Entry
- Minimum Qualifying Sizes for Fish - Minimum qualifying sizes for the Angler Achievement Awards annual and catch-and-release awards.
- New York State Freshwater Fishing Records - A list of record fish for 45 freshwater fish species.
- 2015 Annual Award Category Winners - List of New York's 2014 Angler Achievement Awards Annual Award category
- 2015 Catch and Release Category Winners - List of New York's 2014 Angler Achievement Awards Catch-and-Release award winners.