Victory Mills Wildlife Management Area
See the recreation icon key
- Location: Village of Victory in the Town of Saratoga, Saratoga County
- Dates of Operation: Year-round
- Fee: None
- Contact: DEC Region 5 (Warrensburg) (518) 623-1200
- Maps: Victory Mills Wildlife Management Area Map (PDF) (1.5KB) || Victory Mills Wildlife Management Area Map
- Interactive Maps: Google Earth || State Lands Interactive Mapper
Victory Mills Wildlife Management Area (WMA)
The primary purposes of the Victory Mills Wildlife Management Area are for wildlife management, wildlife habitat management, and wildlife-dependent recreation. Victory Mills Wildlife Management Area (WMA) comprises 47 acres of natural wetlands and a section of Fish Creek.
Hunting and Trapping
Victory Mills WMA is located in Wildlife Management Unit 5R. Waterfowl entice hunters to Victory Mills, while muskrat and mink attract the interest of trappers. (View hunting seasons and trapping seasons)
Victory Mills WMA is open to fishing; please visit DEC's website for more information about fishing. Warm water fish are the primary target of anglers. This includes: smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, rock bass, bluegill, pumpkinseed, bullheads, and perch. A hand launch is located a short distance from the parking area on Mennen Road and provides access to Fish Creek.
Victory Mills Wildlife Management Area has a diverse array of birds and mammals. These include waterfowl such as wood ducks, mallards, teal, and black ducks, as well as other wetland dependent bird species. Mammals may include muskrats, beaver, mink, and possibly river otter. Use the Wildlife Management Area Mammal Checklist (PDF) (85KB) and the Wildlife Management Area Bird Checklist (PDF) (240 KB) as a wildlife viewing guides.
From Schuylerville take State Route 32 south approximately 1.3 miles and turn left onto Mennen Road. The parking area is on right about 0.1 mile from State Route 32. It is an unimproved pull-off at the south-eastern corner of the Mennen Rd. bridge crossing over Fish Creek. - Get Google Map Driving Directions (Leaves DEC Website)
Rules, Regulations and Outdoor Safety
Activity Rules & Regulations
- Hunting Regulations
- Trapping Regulations
- Fishing Regulations
- Public Use of Wildlife Management Areas Regulations
The following activities are not permitted in Victory Mills WMA:
- Unless specifically stated, using motorized vehicles, including:
- all-terrain vehicles
- Swimming or bathing
- Kindling fires
- Damaging or removing gates, fences, signs or other property
- Overnight storage of boats
- Cutting, removing or damaging living vegetation
- Construction of permanent blinds or other structures such as tree stands
- Storage of personal property
Outdoor Safety Tips
NOTE: Ticks are active whenever temperatures are above freezing but especially so in the late spring and early fall. Deer ticks can transmit Lyme and several other diseases. More information on deer ticks and Lyme disease can be obtained from the NYS Department of Health. (Leaves DEC Website). Also, practice Leave No Trace (Leaves DEC website) principles when recreating on state land to enjoy the outdoors responsibly; minimize impact on the natural resources and avoid conflicts.
How We Manage
Like most of the state's Wildlife Management Areas, Victory Mills WMA is managed by DEC's Division of Fish and Wildlife for wildlife conservation and wildlife-associated recreation (hunting, trapping, wildlife viewing/photography). Funding to maintain and manage this site is provided by the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration or "Pittman-Robertson" Act, which is acquired through excise taxes on sporting arms, ammunition and archery equipment.
Tourism Information for Nearby Attractions, Amenities & Activities
Numerous guide books and maps are available with information on the lands, waters, trails and other recreational facilities in this area. These can be purchased at most outdoor equipment retailers, bookstores, and on-line booksellers.
Web links below can provide information about other recreation, attractions and amenities in this area.
- Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce (Leaves DEC website)
- Adirondack Regional Tourism Council (Leaves DEC website)
NYS Lands and Facilities
- Saratoga Sand Plains Wildlife Management Area
- Parcel 45 Wildlife Management Area
- Saratoga Spa State Park (Leaves DEC website)
- Saratoga National Historic Park (Leaves DEC website)
- Wilton Wildlife Preserve and Park (Leaves DEC website)
Gas, food and supplies, dining, and lodging are available in the nearby communities Victory and Saratoga.