New Paltz, Ulster Co.
The Mohonk Preserve inspires people to care for, enjoy and explore the natural world of the Shawangunk Mountains. As New York State's largest non-profit nature preserve, it protects nearly 7,000 acres of forests, fields, streams and lakes, mountain ridges and other unique environments. Tall exposed cliffs provide nesting areas for peregrine falcons.
Wildlife to Watch
Where to Watch
- Forests and fields
- Mountain ridgetop, cliff and rock slab areas
- Trails and carriage roads
- Visitor Center with Children's Corner, Discovery Forest and butterfly garden
- Technical rock climbing on world-class routes
- Horseback riding
- Snowshoeing and groomed and ungroomed trails for cross-country skiing
- 70 miles of carriage roads and trails including wheelchair accessible carriage roads
- Environmental summer day camp
- Interpretive signs and brochures
- Year-round nature programming including NatureAccess for people with disabilities
See Google Maps and enter your address for step by step directions to Mohonk Preserve (This link will open a page outside of the DEC website. Hold "Shift" down while clicking on the link to open it in a new window)
Address: PO Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12561-0715. Visitor Center located at 3197 Rte 44/55 Gardiner, NY 12525
Phone: 845-255-0919, ext. 227
Website: Mohonk Preserve (This link leaves the DEC website)
Admission: Free to members, daily charge for hikers, bikers and climbers.