Sawmill Creek Wetlands
- Open for recreation: Year-round
- Fee: Free
- Contact Information:
- DEC Region 2 Long Island City Office (M-F 8:00AM - 4:00PM): (718) 482-4900, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emergency, Law Enforcement & Rangers: (518) 408-5850 or 911
- Location: Staten Island, Richmond County
- Map: View the Sawmill Creek Wetlands Map || View the same map as (PDF 958 KB) || Google Earth || State Lands Interactive Mapper
Sawmill Creek Wetlands consists of a mixture of dense hardwood forests, lush wetlands, and expansive marshland. Visitors to Sawmill Creek can enjoy a variety of recreational activities, including nature and wildlife observation, photography, hiking, and bird watching.
General information on hiking includes how-to and safety tips and links to rules & regulations.
Sawmill Creek Wetlands features several trails that are open to hiking.
General information on animals includes links to information about birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, amphibians and insects that inhabit or migrate through the state.
Sawmill Creek has carved a series of ravines as it makes its way toward the Arthur Kill on its journey to drain the western portion of Staten Island. One may find a wide assortment of animals, including raccoons, muskrat, and rabbits. The marsh and surrounding wetlands are also a favorite site for several varieties of nesting colonial wading birds including, herons, egrets and ibis.
Sawmill Creek Wetlands may be accessed by taking the West Shore Expressway (Route 440) to either Chelsea Road or Bloomfield Road directly east of the railroad tracks. Parking is available from the shoulder of the road.
***Stay Safe- Bring a Friend When Visiting the Property***
Rules, Regulations and Outdoor Safety
Practice Leave No Trace principles (leaves DEC website) when recreating on state land to enjoy the outdoors responsibly, minimize impact on the natural resources and avoid conflicts with other users.
For your safety and protection of the resource, the following regulations are in place:
- All State Properties are Carry in Carry Out facilities.
- Unauthorized cutting of live trees or new trail building is prohibited.
- No hunting is allowed on any R2 NYS DEC properties.
- Fishing is allowed in compliance with State regulations.
- No camping is allowed.
- Keep pets under control and on leash while other forest users are around.
- Unauthorized use of off-road motorized vehicles is prohibited. This includes cars, trucks, ATVs, and motorcycles.
How We Manage Sawmill Creek Wetlands
DEC is developing a recreation management plan which will describe the management activities for public recreation on these lands. In addition to management objectives, the UMP will contain detailed information on natural features, recreational infrastructure, geology, natural & human history, habitats, wildlife, fisheries and much more..
If you have questions and/or comments about this UMP, please email us at email@example.com.
Nearby State Lands, Facilities, Amenities & Other Information
State Lands & Facilities
- Arden Heights Woods
- Bloesser's Pond
- Clay Pit Ponds State Park (leaves DEC website)
- Goethals Pond Complex
- Pouch Camp Conservation Easement
- Todt Hill Woodlands
- Lemon Creek
- Mount Loretto Unique Area
- North Mt Loretto State Forest
- Oakwood Beach
- Old Place Creek
- Saint Francis Woodlands
- Zuckermann Natural Resource Area
Staten Island Tourism (leaves DEC website) can provide information about other recreation, attractions and amenities in this area.
More about Sawmill Creek Wetlands:
- Sawmill Creek Wetlands Map - A map of Sawmill Creek Wetlands