D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

Upper and Lower Lakes WMA Wetlands Regulations

Public Use of Wetlands Restricted Area

2014-2015 Hunting Season

The portion of the Upper & Lower Lakes Wildlife Management Area that is posted Wetlands Restricted Area will be open to public access between August 16 and May 31. Note that permits are required for trapping and camping and that other regulations detailed in Title 6, NYCRR Part 54 Amended Regulations to Upper and Lower Lakes Wildlife Management Area, apply.

Hunting Hours

WATERFOWL Opening day hunting hours for the northeastern zone waterfowl hunting season are 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. On all other days of the northeastern zone and early goose season, hunting hours are from one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise, to sunset. Hunters must be off the marsh by two hours after sunset.


UPLAND AND BIG GAME State-wide regulations apply.

ACCESS between April 15 and May 31 is by foot only.

RULES AND REGULATIONS It is the responsibility of the user to know and abide by all regulations. Users should view regulations posted at the headquarters building, in the parking lots, or on the DEC website in case of changes. Copies of regulations are also available at the Division of Lands and Forests Office, 6739 U.S. Highway 11, Potsdam, NY 13676 (315) 265-3090 and the Bureau of Wildlife, 5th Floor, Dulles State Office Building, 317 Washington St., Watertown, NY 13601 (315) 785-2263.

CAMPING permits are available only for the fall and on an annual basis, by contacting the Bureau of Wildlife at the Potsdam office. The following information must be provided for the camping permits: names and addresses of all persons who will be at the camp site, along with the vehicle description and license plate number of all vehicles that will be at the site and the dates the site will be occupied. Camping is allowed only on the truck trail indicated by # (see lower left corner of map on the reverse side of the letter). Complete camping rules and regs are contained in the camping permit.

TRAPPING permits are available for both the spring and fall by contacting the Bureau of Wildlife at the Watertown office. Read the pamphlet for details on quotas and how to obtain permits.

Migratory bird Harvest Information Program (HIP). All migratory bird hunters are required to register through HIP. To register call 1-888-427-5447 or register on line.