Wilson Hill WMA Wetland Regulations
Fall 2011 Hunting Seasons
Regulations for the 2011 fall hunting season:
- Waterfowl, small game and archery hunting in the WETLANDS RESTRICTED AREA will be by daily permit. Hunters must register at the permit station. If the permit station is closed by posted notice, hunters must sign in at the registration box located outside of the permit station* or at the registration box located at the west end of the area, just off from SH 37, (Sand Rd entrance).
- Access is prohibited in all areas where active construction or equipment storage is evident. Should construction be in progress during the open season, hunting will not be allowed within 500' of construction activities.
- SEPTEMBER GOOSE SEASON The WMA will open for hunting on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. These dates include YOUTH WATERFOWL HUNT. During these two seasons, hunting hours are from one-half hour before sunrise to 12:00 noon. Hunters may enter the area one (1) hour before legal hunting hours and must leave the area by 2:00 PM. ZONE A will be CLOSED during early goose season.
- NORTHEASTERN ZONE WATERFOWL HUNTING SEASON The WMA will be open for waterfowl hunting Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Waterfowl hunting hours during the Northeastern waterfowl season are from one-half hour before sunrise until 12:00 noon. On opening weekend only, hunters may begin entering the area no earlier than one (1) hour before legal hunting hours. Hunters must leave the area each day of the NE Zone Season by 2:00 PM.
- SMALL GAME HUNTING The WMA will be open for small game hunting, beginning on October 1. Small game hunting is allowed on the area Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Small game hunting hours are from sunrise to sunset. Hunters must leave the area by one (1) hour after sunset.
- ARCHERY HUNTERS The WMA is open for archery hunting each day of any Northern Zone bow or regular deer season. Archers must leave the area by one hour after sunset.
- VEHICLE ACCESS Generally the main gate will be open to allow hunting access. Opening weekend of the Northeastern Zone Waterfowl Season, the gate will be opened 1 ½ hours before sunrise and closed at 2:00 PM.
RULES AND REGULATIONS It is the responsibility of the permittee to know and abide by all regulations. Rules and regulations are available at the permit station, the DEC website and the Bureau of Wildlife offices in Potsdam (315) 265-3090 and Watertown (315) 785-2263 during normal business hours.
- HUNTERS MUST SUBMIT their game for examination before leaving the area when the permit station is open or sign out when the permit station is closed and the area is on self-registration.
- YOU MAY LOSE YOUR PERMIT PRIVILEGES violating the terms of a permit or for any violation of the conservation law or other law.
* As per regulations in Title 6 NYCRR Part 54, Amended Regulations to Wilson Hill Wildlife Management Area will be posted at the check station and alternate sign in locations.
Migratory bird Harvest Information Program (HIP) All migratory bird hunters are required to register through HIP. To register call 1-1-888-427-5447or register online.