Southampton: North Sea Harbor/Fish Cove
Pursuant to the provisions of 6NYCRR 47.3(b), the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, in cooperation with the Town of Southampton, will initiate a conditional shellfish harvesting program in portions of the uncertified shellfish lands in North Sea Harbor and Fish Cove. In order to take advantage of this program, please read the following:
1. Program Duration: This Program Is Closed
This program will be in effect from January 27, 2016 through April 1, 2016 (both dates inclusive).
2. Conditional Harvesting Area Descriptions (please note all exceptions remain Uncertified):
North Sea Harbor:
- All of the uncertified shellfish lands in North Sea Harbor lying south of a line extending southeasterly from the northeasternmost point of land at Conscience Point, to the easternmost end of the bulkhead located at 319 Noyack Road, a two-story, wood shingled residence with three flag poles and a gambrel roof, on an unnamed point of land, west of the entrance to Fish Cove (local names, local landmarks) and all that area lying east of a line extending southerly from the northeasternmost point of land at Conscience Point, to the unpaved extension, of the northeastern road end of Shore Road (Shore Road runs parallel to the southern side of Alewife Creek). For aided visibility, there will be an orange marker at this location. If this marker is removed or missing, the harvesting of this portion of North Sea Harbor will be suspended.
- All that area of North Sea Harbor lying east of a line extending southerly from the residence at 102 Towd Point Road to the easternmost end of the same bulkhead located at 319 Noyack Road mentioned above and west of Noyack Road where it crosses the entrance canal into Fish Cove.
- All of the uncertified shellfish lands in Fish Cove, a tributary of North Sea Harbor, including the unnamed creek connecting North Sea Harbor to Fish Cove, lying south of a line extending easterly, from the center point of the easternmost end of the T dock located off the property at the "Narrows" Condominium Complex (400 Noyack Road) on the western shoreline of Fish Cove, directly across to the southernmost point of the fixed wooden dock at the residence located at 26 Robins Lane, on the opposite eastern shoreline. (Said residence is a 2-story cedar shingled home with a second story and deck, the lower story is painted red).
Except: all that area of Alewife Creek, Turtle Cove and the uncertified portion of Davis Creek and the northern portion of Fish Cove in North Sea Harbor. All EXCEPTIONS REMAIN UNCERTIFIED.
3. Conditions To Be Met:
When not more than 0.15 inches of liquid precipitation is recorded for each of seven successive days, the area will be designated as "certified" (open) for the harvest of shellfish on the eighth day. The area may remain open until more than 0.15 inches of precipitation is recorded within a 24 hour period. Harvesting may not begin before 9:00 AM.
4. Daily Public Notification:
Each day, after 8:30 AM, a recorded message announcing the status of the areas as "open" or "closed" can be heard at 631-287-5724.
A copy of the order "opening" or "closing" the area will be posted in the NYSDEC, Marine Resources Office in East Setauket.
Telephone calls regarding the status of this area may also be made to the Town of Southampton at 631-287-5717 or to NYSDEC (8:30 AM to 4:45 PM) at 631-444-0492.
5. Special Notes:
The conditional shellfishing area will be closed on February 15, 2015 (Presidents' Day), March 25, 2016 (Good Friday) and March 27, 2016 (Easter Sunday).
It is the responsibility of the harvester to determine whether the "Open" message has been recorded for that particular day prior to harvesting in the conditional area. Until the official "Open" message is given through the notification procedure described above, the area remains uncertified and harvesting is prohibited.
This conditional shellfish harvesting program may be suspended, revised or terminated at any time if water quality is determined to be in contravention of the bacteriological standards for certified shellfish lands or if any other condition is found to exist which may be a threat to public health OR if no rainfall reading is available on any particular day.