Special Shellfish Closures
There are currently special shellfish closures in effect.
For the most up to date shellfish closure information, please call our Emergency Closure Hotline at 631-444-0480. You may also call the Shellfisheries office at 631-444-0492 during normal business hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:45 PM.
The DEC Bureau of Marine Resources will designate three north shore areas as temporarily uncertified for the harvest of shellfish over the Labor Day holiday period.
The closures will be effective at sunrise on Saturday, August 30, 2014 and continuing through Wednesday, September 3, 2014 both dates inclusive. The affected areas are:
- West Harbor in Oyster Bay Harbor, Town of Oyster Bay: All that area of West Harbor, in Oyster Bay Harbor, including tributaries, lying easterly of a line estending northerly from the northwesternmost point of land approximately 600 yards north of Brickyard Point (on Centre Island) to the westernmost point of the beach pavilion at Centre Island Beach (located on the south side of Bayville Avenue/Centre Island Road) and lying westerly of Centre Island.
Click map for larger image of the West Harbor shellfish closure.
- The Sand Hole, within Caumsett State Park, on Lloyd Neck, Town of Huntington: All that area of the Sand Hole (local name), including tributaries, located northerly of a line extending due east from the southernmost point of land which forms the western shore of the inlet to the Sand Holde to the opposite shoreline, on the eastern side of said inlet.
Click map for larger image of the Sand Hole shellfish closure.
- Port Jefferson Harbor, Town of Brookhaven: All the normally certified area of the Port Jefferson Harbor Complex, including the Narrows and Pirate's Cove (Mount Misery Cove).
Click map for larger image of the Port Jefferson Harbor shellfish closure.
Since 1995, DEC has designated these three areas as temporarily uncertified for the harvest of shellfish during the July 4th and Labor Day holidays. These closures are put in place during the busy holidays to protect public health from potentially contaminated shellfish associated with increased boating activity in very close proximity to shellfishing areas. During peak summer holiday periods, discharges from marine sanitation devices (toilets) may contaminate nearby shellfish beds with pathogenic bacteria or viruses, rendering the shellfish unsafe for human consumption.
More about Special Shellfish Closures:
- Large Map of West Harbor Holiday Mooring Area Closure - Large Map of West Harbor Holiday Mooring Area Closure
- Large Map of the Sand Hole Holiday Mooring Area Closure - Large Map of the Sand Hole Holiday Mooring Area Closure
- Large Map of Port Jefferson Harbor Holiday Mooring Area Closure - Large Map of Port Jefferson Harbor Holiday Mooring Area Shellfish Closure