On the eastern shore of Lake Ontario lies a plateau that boasts the heaviest snow fall east of The Rockies. Several ski trails are located within the boundaries of DEC managed state forests. On this page, you will find the links to these fine cross-country trails.
The Belleayre Mountain Ski Center located in the heart of the Catskill Forest Preserve near Highmount, NY is operated by the Olympic Regional Development Authority (see link to ORDA at right). Belleayre provides downhill and cross-country skiing opportunities.
Many other cross-country ski opprtunities exist across the state. You can find a location near you by:
- Viewing our "Cross-Country Ski Trails" data set in Google Earth
- Using the State Lands Interactive Mapper to locate trails
- Checking our list of great winter hikes
More about Skiing:
- Winona State Forest - Description of various recreational activities on Winona State Forest
- Barnes Corners Ski Trails - Ski trails in Tug Hill State Forest, some along beautiful Inman Gulf
- Carpenter Road Ski Trails - 8 miles of scenic pathways for skiers in the winter and for hikers and bikers during the summer season
- Lowville Forestry Demonstration Area - Details and brochure about the Lowville Forestry Demonstration Area, arboretum and nature trails
- Centennial Recreational Trails - Ski trail on Independence River Wild Forest