Franklin County Special Fishing Regulations
- This is a list of exceptions to the General Angling Regulations of New York's Freshwater Fishing Regulations.
- Trout waters where ice fishing is permitted are identified here.
- Where regulations appear in the Method column, they pertain to all fishing in the listed water.
- In some cases, you will be referred to the regulations tables for major resource blocks (Great Lakes, Finger Lakes, Lake Champlain, Border Waters, New York City Reservoirs).
|Water||Species||Open Season||Minimum Length||Daily Limit||Method|
|All waters except Lake Colby||Black Bass||3rd Saturday in June - November 30||12"||5||Fishing for black bass (including catch and release) is prohibited outside of open the season|
|Big Fish Pond, Little Fish Pond, St. Regis Pond||Lake trout||April 1-Oct 15||15"||3||Use or possession of baitfish prohibited|
|Lake Clear, Meacham Lake||Trout||All year||Any size||5||Ice fishing permitted|
|Landlocked salmon||All year||15"||3|
|Lake Colby||Trout||All year||Any size||5||Ice fishing permitted|
|Landlocked salmon||All year||15"||3|
|Black bass||3rd Saturday in June - November 30||Any size||5|
|Little Clear Pond, Little Green Pond, and their tributaries||Fishing prohibited to protect hatchery brood stocks|
|Salmon River from the Flat Rock Road bridge to 200 yards downstream of the Cargin Road Bridge||Trout||All year||Catch and Release||Artificial lures only|
|Mountain Pond (Town of Brighton)||Trout||April 1-Nov 30||Catch and Release only||Artificial lures only|
|Saranac River from Hough Brook at Union Falls Flow upstream to Franklin Falls Flow Dam||Fishing prohibited March 1-May 15 to protect spawning walleye|
|Saranac River from Pine Street bridge upstream to Lake Flower Dam in Village of Saranac Lake||Trout||All year||Any size||5|
|North Branch Saranac River from the mouth of Cold Brook (Clinton County) upstream to the Goldsmith Road bridge||Trout||All year||12"||3|
|Whey Pond||Trout||April 1-Oct 15||12"||3||Artificial lures only|
|Upper Saranac Lake||Lake Trout||April 1-Oct 15||23"||3||Ice Fishing permitted;
|Tupper Lake, Lake Kushaqua, Rollins Pond||Lake trout||All year||21"||3||Ice fishing permitted|
In addition, the use or possession of baitfish is prohibited on all lands, lakes, ponds and streams of the following geographic areas: St. Regis Canoe Area, High Peaks Wilderness (except Raquette River and Saranac River) and the following waters:
- Town of Bellmont-Drain Pond
- Town of Brighton-Barnum Pond, Black Pond (on Visitors Interpretive Center Property), Long Pond (north of Black Pond), Loon Pond, Lost Pond (0.4 mi. southwest of Mountain Pond), Mountain Pond, Slush Pond, Star Mountain Ponds (2), Upper Spectacle Pond
- Town of Duane-Buck Pond, Clear Pond, Debar Pond, Skiff Pond, Winebago Pond
- Town of Franklin-Fishole Pond, Hope Pond, Little Hope Pond, No Hope Pond (300 feet north of Hope Pond)
- Town of Harrietstown-Bear Pond, Meadow Pond (1/2 mile northwest of Lake Clear), Panther Pond, Porkchop Pond (0.6 mi. east of Upper Saranac Lake), St. Germain Pond (1/2 mile north of Lake Clear)
- Town of Malone-Malone Village Ice Pond
- Town of Tupper Lake-Rag Pond (200 feet north of West Pine Pond), West Pine Pond
- Town of Santa Clara-Bad News Pond (1000 feet northwest of Polliwog Pond), Black Pond (between Square Pond and Whey Pond), Duck or Echo Pond, Duell Pond (1/4 mile south of Little Green Pond), East Copperas Pond, Federation Pond (1/4 mile southeast of East Pine Pond), Frog Pond (650 feet north of Polliwog Pond), Grass Pond (1 1/4 mile northeast of Benz Pond), Little Black Pond (between Black and Square ponds), Green Pond (north of Follensby Clear Pond), Horseshoe Pond, Little Polliwog Pond, Madewaska Pond, Polliwog Pond, Rat Pond, Sunday Pond (southeast of Rat Pond), Sunrise Pond (east of Follensby Clear Pond), Track Pond (3/4 mile northeast of Floodwood Pond), Twelfth Tee or Gordon Pond (400 feet north of Green Pond), Whey Pond
- Town of Waverly-Balsam Pond (two miles west of Duck Pond), Benz Pond, Little Clear Pond, Long Pond.