Salmon River and Tributaries Angling Regulations by Section
Regulations for All Great Lakes & Tributaries apply to all sections of the Salmon River listed below.
Salmon River Downstream of Rt. 52 Bridge in Altmar
From the upstream most navigation buoy located between the breakwalls at the mouth of the river upstream to the County Rt. 52 bridge in Altmar
|Apri 15 - August 14||Statewide gear restrictions apply|
|August 15 - April 14||
|August 15 - October 31||
Additional Regulations for Floating Lures Apply
November 1 - April 14
|Multiple single, double and treble hooks are permitted on floating lures|
|April 1 - August 14||Fishing at night is permitted from Lake Ontario to Rt. 3 Bridge|
Salmon River Fly Fishing Catch-and-Release Sections
Fishing Hours, Season Dates and Locations
- Angling Permitted: From one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- Lower Fly Section: Open September 15 through May 15, from County Route 52 Bridge in Altmar upstream 0.25 mile to the marked boundary at Beaverdam Brook.
- Upper Fly Section: Open April 1 through November 30 from a marked boundary upstream of the New York State Fish Hatchery property to a marked boundary 0.6 mile upstream at the Lighthouse Hill Reservoir tailrace.
- Fishing is prohibited outside the open season.
Catch & Release
All fish must be immediately released without unnecessary injury.
Tackle is restricted to a traditional fly rod, fly reel, fly line, and artificial fly. Restrictions on fly lines, flies, attractors, leaders and supplemental weight are as follows:
- Use of less than 20 feet of floating, sinking, or combination floating/sinking fly line or shooting head immediately behind the leader and in front of any running line or other backing is prohibited.
- From May 1 through August 31: Floating fly lines only.
- From September 1 through April 30: Floating, sinking, and sink tip fly lines are permitted.
- From May 1 through August 31: a single unweighted artificial fly having one hook point with a one-half inch maximum gap only permitted.
- From September 1 through April 30: a single unweighted or weighted artificial fly with no more than 1/8 oz. added weight, having one hook point with a one-half-inch maximum gap only permitted.
- The use of added baits or attractors such as, but not limited to, fish eggs, insects, beads, spoons, spinners, plugs, or similar devices on the line above the artificial fly is prohibited.
- The total length of the leader including the tippet shall not exceed 15 feet.
- From May 1 through August 31: sinking and metal leaders are prohibited.
- From May 1 through August 31: the use of supplemental weight such as split shot, sinkers, metal leaders, twist-ons, or swivels attached to the leader, tippet, fly line or fly is prohibited.
- From September 1 through April 30: the use of supplemental weight is permitted with the following restrictions.
- The combined weight of any supplemental weight and fly may not exceed one-eighth of an ounce.
- The maximum distance between the artificial fly and any added weight to the line, leader or tippet shall not exceed four feet.
- Weight added to the line, leader, swivels, or artificial fly in any manner such that the weight hangs lower than the attached fly is prohibited.
Beaverdam Brook in Altmar Fishing Closure
Fishing in Beaverdam Brook and its tributaries, Oswego County, is prohibited from their mouths to the upstream boundary of the Salmon River Hatchery property.