Bobcat Hunting Seasons
Following the completion of New York's Bobcat Management Plan, regulations were adopted to increase hunting opportunities for bobcat:
- The hunting season in WMU 6N has been extended to February 15th to match the rest of northern New York.
- To hunt bobcat in the new "Harvest Expansion Area" (area highlighted in blue on the map), which includes WMUs 3R, 3S, 4A, 4F, 4O, 5R, 6R, 6S, 7S, 8T, 8W, 8X, 8Y, 9J, 9K, 9M, 9N, 9P, 9R, 9S, 9T, 9W, 9X and 9Y, you must do the following:
- Obtain a free bobcat harvest expansion area permit from a Regional Bureau of Wildlife office (see below).
- Comply with all conditions stated on the permit. All other regulations associated with furbearer hunting and trapping apply.
- Maintain and submit a hunting/trapping activity log; this will be provided by DEC when you receive your permit. Completed hunting/trapping activity logs, even if you did not hunt or trap, must be submitted by November 25th.
- Submit the skull or lower jaw of all harvested bobcats at the time of pelt sealing.
- The season in the Harvest Expansion Area will open on October 25th and close November 15th, 2013. All bobcats taken in the Harvest Expansion Area must be pelt sealed by November 25th.
If you take a bobcat anywhere in New York State it must be tagged and sealed.
To obtain a free permit for hunting and/or trapping bobcat within the "Harvest Expansion Area" contact DEC by phone, mail, or e-mail. Please provide the following information:
- Mailing address
- Date of Birth
- DEC ID # (from your hunting/trapping license or backtag)
- Phone # and E-mail address
- Indicate whether you plan to hunt bobcat, trap bobcat, or both
- You may request a permit by e-mail. If you do so, please indicate the county or WMU where you plan to hunt and/or trap.
|DEC Region||Wildlife Mgt. Units||Address||Phone|
|3||3R, 3S||21 S. Putt Corners Rd.
New Paltz, NY 12561
|4 / 5 / 6||4A, 4F, 4O, 5R, 6R, 6S||65561 State Hwy. 10
Stamord, NY 12167-9503
|7||7S||1285 Fisher Ave.
Cortland, NY 13045
|607-753-3095 x. 247|
|8||8T, 8W, 8X, 8Y||7291 Coon Rd.
Bath, NY 14810-9728
|607-776-2165 x. 16|
|9||9J, 9K, 9M, 9N, 9P, 9R, 9S, 9T, 9W, 9X, 9Y||182 E. Union St., Suite 3
Allegany, NY 14706