Bobcat Trapping Seasons
Following the completion of New York's Bobcat Management Plan, regulations were adopted to increase trapping opportunities for bobcat:
- The trapping season in WMUs 5A, 5C, 5F, 5G, 5H, 5J, 6A, 6C, 6F, 6G, 6H, 6J and 6N has been extended to match the hunting season dates; the season in these WMUs now closes February 15th.
- To trap bobcat in the "Harvest Expansion Area" (area highlighted in blue on the map), which includes WMUs 3R, 3S, 4A, 4F, 4O, 5R, 6R, 6S, 7S, 8T, 8W, 8X, 8Y, 9J, 9K, 9M, 9N, 9P, 9R, 9S, 9T, 9W, 9X and 9Y, you must do the following:
- Obtain a free bobcat harvest expansion area permit from a Regional Bureau of Wildlife office (see below).
- Comply with all conditions stated on the permit. All other regulations associated with furbearer trapping and hunting apply.
- Maintain and submit a trapping/hunting activity log; this will be provided by DEC when you receive your permit. Completed trapping/hunting activity logs, even if you did not trap or hunt, must be submitted by November 24th.
- Submit the skull or lower jaw of all harvested bobcats at the time of pelt sealing.
- The season in the Harvest Expansion Area will open on October 25th and close November 14th, 2014. All bobcats taken in the Harvest Expansion Area must be pelt sealed by November 24th.
If you take a bobcat anywhere in New York State it must be tagged and sealed.
To obtain a free permit for trapping and/or hunting bobcat within the "Harvest Expansion Area" contact DEC by phone, mail, or e-mail. Please provide the following information:
- Mailing address
- Date of Birth
- DEC ID # (from your trapping/hunting license or backtag)
- Phone # and E-mail address
- Indicate whether you plan to trap bobcat, hunt bobcat, or both
- You may request a permit by e-mail. If you do so, please indicate the county or WMU where you plan to trap and/or hunt.
|DEC Region||Wildlife Mgt. Units||Address||Phone|
|3||3R, 3S||21 S. Putt Corners Rd.
New Paltz, NY 12561
|4 / 5 / 6||4A, 4F, 4O, 5R, 6R, 6S||65561 State Hwy. 10
Stamord, NY 12167-9503
|7||7S||1285 Fisher Ave.
Cortland, NY 13045
|607-753-3095 x. 247|
|8||8T, 8W, 8X, 8Y||7291 Coon Rd.
Bath, NY 14810-9728
|607-776-2165 x. 16|
|9||9J, 9K, 9M, 9N, 9P, 9R, 9S, 9T, 9W, 9X, 9Y||182 E. Union St., Suite 3
Allegany, NY 14706