2017 Summer Flounder Quota Distribution Plan
The 2017 summer flounder quota allocation provided by the United States Department of Commerce, National Marine Fisheries Service to the State of New York is anticipated to be 432,764 pounds. The quota distribution plan for summer flounder is below. The purpose of this distribution plan is to fully utilize the available quota of summer flounder for the maximum benefit to New York's commercial fishery and to minimize the likelihood of a fishery closure.
|Period||Date(s)||Quota (lbs)||% of Annual Quota||Initial Trip Limit (lbs)||Weekly limit (lbs)|
Provisions of this quota distribution plan:
- Trip limits are intended to spread quota allocation over each period and to avoid fishery closures if possible. Consequently, initial period trip limits may be set at modest levels.
- Overharvest/underharvest from Period 1 will be deducted from/added to Period 7. Overharvest/underharvest from Period 2 will be rolled into Period 6. Overharvest/underharvest from Periods 3 through 5 will be rolled into the next period.
- The ASMFC Fishery Management Plan for summer flounder does not allow for one year's unused quota to be rolled over to the next year.
- If a period's quota is projected to be exceeded, action will be taken, up t and possible including closure of the remaining period, until the next period in order to preserve quota for subsequent periods.
- DEC may adjust this quota distribution plan if the level of harvest is different from what was projected to ensure maximum utilization of the summer flounder resource and prevent the state allocation from being exceeded.
- The final 2017 quota allocation is subject to adjustment by the National Marine Fisheries Service.
Check the Commercial Fishing Limits webpage for updated trip limits and fishery status information on Summer Flounder and other quota managed species in New York.
Keep track of weekly commercial landings by clicking on the "NMFS Weekly Landings" link in the right hand column of this page. The link will bring you to NOAA Northeast Region Fisheries Statistics website where the National Marine Fisheries Service keeps track of weekly records on quota and landing reports for managed species in each state along the Atlantic Coast.