2014 Summer Flounder Quota Distribution Plan
The New York State 2014 commercial quota allocation for summer flounder (fluke) is 724,301 pounds. This amount is based on an updated stock assessment conducted in 2013. The final specifications were issued by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) in the May 22, 2014 Federal Register.
DEC Bureau of Marine Resources held a quota management meeting on Wednesday, January 8, 2014 where a draft quota distribution plan for summer flounder was developed. The following table is the 2014 quota distribution plan for summer flounder.
The intent of this plan is to fully utilize the available summer flounder quota for the maximum benefit to New York's fishery and to not exceed the state quota allocation. This plan will remain in effect through December 31, 2014.
|Period||Date(s)||Quota (lbs)||% of Annual Quota||Initial Trip Limit (lbs)||Weekly limit (lbs)|
|5||November-December||94,159||13%||100/70||To Be Determined|
Provisions governing this distribution are as follows:
- Trip limits are intended to spread quota allocation over each period and to avoid fishery closures if possible.
- Overharvest or underharvest from Period 1 will be deducted from or added to Period 5. Overharvest or underharvest from Periods 2 through 4 will be rolled into the next period.
- The fishery management plan for summer flounder does not allow for one year's unused quota to be rolled over to the next year.
- DEC may adjust this quota distribution plan if the level of harvest is different from what was projected to ensure maximum utilization of the summer flounder resource and prevent the state allocation from being exceeded.
- The final 2014 quota allocation is subject to adjustment by the National Marine Fisheries Service.
Check the Commercial Fishing Limits webpage for updated trip limits and fishery status information on Summer Flounder and other quota managed species in New York.
Keep track of weekly commercial landings by clicking on the "NMFS Weekly Landings" link in the right hand column of this page. The link will bring you to NOAA Northeast Region Fisheries Statistics website where the National Marine Fisheries Service keeps track of weekly records on quota and landing reports for managed species in each state along the Atlantic Coast.