2017 Bluefish Quota Distribution Plan
The 2017 bluefish quota allocation provided by the United States Department of Commerce, National Marine Fisheries Service tot he State of New York is anticipated to be 630,376 pounds (this amount is expected to change). The quota distribution plan for bluefish is below. The purpose of this distribution plan is to fully utilize the available quota of bluefish for the maximum benefit to New York's commercial fishery and to minimize the likelihood of a fishery closure.
|Period||Dates||Quota (lbs)||Initial Trip
|1||January - April||94,557||2,000||15%|
|2||May - June||
|3||July - August||220,631||500||35%|
|4||September - October||94,556||1,000||15%|
|5||November - December||63,038||1,000||10%|
Provisions of the quota distribution plan
- Trip limits are established to distribute quota allocation over each period and to prevent closures if possible. Consequently, initial period trip limits may be set a modest levels.
- Any unused allocation fro Period 1 will be equally distributed to Periods 2, 3 and 4.
- Any unused allocation from Periods 2, 3 or 4 will roll over to the next period. Currently, the Fishery Management Plan does not allow for one year's unused quota to be rolled over to the next year.
- If a period's quota is projected to be exceeded, that period will be closed until the next period in order to preserve quota for subsequent periods.
- DEC may adjust this quota distribution plan if the level of harvest is different from what was projected to ensure maximum utilization of the bluefish resource and prevent the state allocation from being surpassed.
- The final 2017 quota allocation is subject to change by adjustments made by the National Marine Fisheries Service.
Check the Commercial Fishing Limits webpage for updated trip limits and fishery status information on Bluefish and other quota managed species in New York.
Keep track of weekly commercial landings by clicking on the "NMFS Weekly Landings" link in the right hand column of this page. The link will bring you to NOAA Northeast Region Fisheries Statistics website where the National Marine Fisheries Service keeps track of weekly records on quota and landing reports for managed species in each state along the Atlantic Coast.