2014 Bluefish Quota Distribution Plan
NOAA Fisheries has approved the final specifications for the Atlantic bluefish fishery. The New York State 2014 commercial quota allocation for bluefish is 774,579 pounds.
The following table is a summary of the quota distribution plan for 2014. The intent of this plan is to fully utilize the available bluefish quota for the maximum benefit to New York's commercial fishing industry, yet remain within the quota allocation. This plan will remain in effect through December 31, 2014.
|Period||Dates||Quota (lbs)||Initial Trip
|1||January - April||116,187||5,000||15%||75%||200|
|2||May - June||193,645||1,000||25%||75%||200|
|3||July - August||271,103||1,000||35%||75%||200|
|4||September - October||116,187||1,000||15%||75%||200|
|5||November - December||77,457||1,000||10%||50%||200|
Provisions of the quota distribution plan
- Trip limits are established to spread quota allocation over each period and to avoid closures.
- Initial period trip limits will be set at modest levels. A percentage of the period's assigned quota share is set as a trigger to lower the trip limit. When period landings reach the stated trigger, trip limits will be lowered to avoid over-harvest.
- Any period's unused allocation will roll over to the next period. Currently, the fishery management plan for bluefish does not allow for one year's unused quota to be rolled over to the next year.
- DEC may adjust this quota distribution plan if the level of harvest is different from what was projected to ensure maximum utilization of the bluefish resource and prevent the state quota allocation from being exceeded.
- The final 2014 quota allocation is subject to change by adjustments made by NMFS.
Check the Commercial Fishing Limits webpage for updated trip limits and fishery status information on Bluefish and other quota managed species in New York.
Keep track of weekly commercial landings by clicking on the "NMFS Weekly Landings" link in the right hand column of this page. The link will bring you to NOAA Northeast Region Fisheries Statistics website where the National Marine Fisheries Service keeps track of weekly records on quota and landing reports for managed species in each state along the Atlantic Coast.