Meacham Lake Campground
Please be advised that due to 2016 fall construction, this facility will close on September 26th. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause but appreciate your support as we continue to improve our facilities!
- Dates of Operation: See campground schedule
- Camping Fee: $20 per night (out of state residents surcharge additional $5 per night)
- Address: 119 State Camp Road, Duane, NY 12953 (directions below)
- GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude): 44 34 41.81335N, 074 16 54.42114W
- Campground Phone: (518) 483-5116
- Regional Office Phone: (518) 897-1309
- Make Your Camping Reservation: ReserveAmerica
Campground Map PDF File (814 KB)
Campers at Meacham Lake are provided with a wide open view of a truly undeveloped area and can often hear the Loon calling in early morning and late evening. Aside from a fishermen's paradise, the campground has an activities area complete with Environmental Interpreters, volleyball, horseshoes, kids playground, and bathing beach. Meacham Lake Campground is located on the north and west shores of Meacham Lake. The campground represents the only development of this 1,203 acre lake. The campground is in a very scenic area, surrounded by the northern mountains and extensive tracts of Wild Forest state land. All types of camping units can be accommodated from small tents to large recreational vehicles. The west side offers primitive and walk-in sites, while the main campground will accommodate both tents and RVs.
224 campsites, hot showers, flush toilets, trailer dump station, recycling center, boat launch, picnic area, sand beach with bathhouse, boat and canoe rentals, firewood sales, playground.
Power boats, rowboats, and canoes allowed. Rowboat and canoe rentals available. Boat launch is located on the north shore of Meacham Lake and is accessible from the main entrance road. Parking area accommodates 50 vehicles with trailers.
Fish in area include: northern pike, yellow perch, and bullhead.
Debar Mountain at Meacham Lake and St. Regis Mountain in Paul Smiths both offer excellent views of the surrounding mountains and lakes.
Designated swimming areas are available at some DEC facilities. Based on staffing, some of these facilities may have limited swimming hours/days. For the safety of our customers, swimming will only be permitted when a lifeguard is on duty. Beach hours will be posted at facilities with swimming. To inquire, please contact the campground directly.
From the Northway (I-87) northbound - Exit 30 Route 9 north to Route 73 north to Lake Placid. Route 86 through Villages of Lake Placid and Saranac Lake to Paul Smiths; right on Route 30 north approximately 9.5 miles.
From the Northway (I-87) southbound - Exit 38, Route 374 west to Route 3 junction, Route 3, turn right on Franklin County Road 30 to Rte. 86, turn right to Paul Smiths; right on NYS Route 30 north approximately 9.5 miles.
From Tupper Lake - Route 30 north approximately 40 miles.
Get driving directions from Google Maps (leaves DEC website)
Planning and Management
The Final Meacham Lake Public Campground Unit Management Plan Amendment (PDF, 8.7 MB) (UMP) guides the DEC's land management activities at this facility for a five-year period, although a number of goals and objectives in the plan focus on a much longer time period. The UMP addresses specific objectives and actions for public use at this facility.
For easier download, the document has been split into two parts:
Rules, Regulations and Outdoor Safety
Clean your boat and equipment - help prevent the spread of aquatic invasives
Don't move firewood - help prevent of spread of invasive insects
The Tri-Lakes region to the south and Malone to the north. The Adirondack Park Visitors Interpreter Center at Paul Smiths is located 8 miles south of the campground.
The Meacham Lake Hotel was located on the campground site until 1921. New York State purchased the land in 1931-32. In 1934, construction of the early campground was accomplished with the use of the Civilian Conservation Corps. In 1946, plans were approved for the construction of 29 trailer sites. Preliminary plans for the expansion were developed in late 1964 and extensive expansion continued through the late 1960's with final construction completed in 1971.
Junior Naturalist Program
Our campgrounds become an outdoor classroom for young children (5-13) and their families. Enjoy games and activities to earn a beautiful embroidered patch.