Crown Point Campground
- Dates of Operations: See campground schedule
- Camping Fee: $18 per night (out of state residents surcharge additional $5 per night)
- Address: 784 Bridge Road, Crown Point, NY 12928 (directions below)
- GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude): 44 01 42.02263N 073 25 27.10316W
- Campground Phone: (518) 597-3603
- Regional Office Phone: (518) 897-1309
- Make Your Camping Reservation: ReserveAmerica
Check out the virtual tour for this facility! (leaves DEC website)
Campground Map PDF File (570 KB)
Because Crown Point Public Campground rests over battlefields and fort locations dating back to 1775, remnants of structures and sites remain for visitors to view. The lighthouse, rebuilt in 1911-1912 and positioned on the campground shore overlooks the 281,600 acre Lake Champlain. The campground is located on the lower southwestern shore of Lake Champlain, north of the village of Crown Point. Positioned so that it is majestically overlooking Lake Champlain and neighboring Vermont, the Crown Point bridge looms on the northern most shore of this campground and is one of the few bridges connecting New York State and Vermont. Sites are capable of holding any size RV and are blanketed with grass all summer long. There is one on site lean-to. The entire Crown Point Reservation, including all 49 acres of the campground, are listed in the National Register of Historic Places and have been designated by the United States Secretary of the Interior as a National Historic Landmark.
66 campsites, hot showers, trailer dump station, recycling center, a small picnic area, firewood sales, mobility impaired accessibility, and boat launching ramp.
Power boats, rowboats, and canoes are allowed. The campground also offers a boat launch.
Major species include: largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, northern pike, bullhead, yellow perch, brown trout, and lake trout.
From Adirondack Northway (I-87), Northbound: Exit 28, take NYS Rte. 74 east to junction Route 22, north to junction of Bridge Road to Vermont, continue 4 miles to the campground entrance.
From Adirondack Northway (1-87), Southbound: Exit 31, take Route 9N east to Westport to junction Route 22 and 9N south through Port Henry to junction of Bridge Road to Vermont, continue 4 miles to the campground.
Get driving directions from Google Maps (leaves DEC website)
Planning and Management
The Final Unit Management Plan (UMP) for the campground guides the DEC's land management activities at this facility for a five-year period, although a number of goals and objectives in the plan focus on a much longer time period. The UMP addresses specific objectives and actions for public use at this facility.
For more information regarding the UMP for this facility please contact the Bureau of Recreation, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY12233, Telephone 518 457-2500, and email for campground information
Rules, Regulations and Outdoor Safety
Clean your boat and equipment - help prevent the spread of aquatic invasives
Don't move firewood - help prevent of spread of invasive insects
The campground and surrounding area are steeped in significant history and archaeological resources. Adjacent to the campground are the historic forts Crown Point and Fort St. Frederic. Designated Crown Point State Historic Site is an area attraction. Fort Ticonderoga is located 10 miles south of Crown Point. A lighthouse located on the campground was built in 1858 and rebuilt in 1911-12.
Crown Point has a rich heritage dating back to the 1750's when it was hotly contested by French, British, and American armies. Following the American Revolution the area was turned over to Union and Columbia Colleges. They in turn sold it to a farmer who used it for pasture land and orchards. The New York State Conservation Department acquired the land in 1910. In 1912 the Champlain Memorial Lighthouse was dedicated to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Champlain's discovery of the lake that now bears his name. In 1929 the steamboat pier was constructed and it has become a popular fishing spot. Construction of the campground began in 1915. In 1930, 1951, and 1952 it was expanded to its present size.
Junior Naturalist Program
Our campgrounds become an outdoor classroom for young children (5-13) and their families. Enjoy games and activities to earn a beautiful embroidered patch.