D E C banner
D E C banner

Disclaimer

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

Caroga Lake

Trees at Caroga Lake CampgroundAddress: 3043 State Highway 29A, Caroga Lake, NY 12078
GPS Info. (Latitude,Longitude): 43d07'26.44"N, 74d28'16.51"W
Campground Phone: (518) 835-4241
Regional Office Phone: (518) 863-4545
Camping Fee: $20

Campground Map PDF File (309 KB)

Make a reservation at this campground with ReserveAmerica.

Firewood Restriction Map || (PDF file, 1.2 MB) View map showing 50-mile radius from which untreated firewood may be moved to this campground. For more information see firewood restrictions.

Caroga Lake Campground offers large, level sites to accommodate the smallest tent to the 30' RVs. A Diversified Exercise course with 18 exercise stations wanders through the campground challenging those who enjoy staying physically fit in an outdoor environment. The sandy beach offers a guarded swimming area from mid-June to Labor Day. The campground offers rowboat, canoe, and kayak rentals to leisurely explore or fish East Caroga Lake. Numerous hiking trails located nearby.

The area offers historic interests from the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars.

Directions: From the East (Albany) - Take NYS Thruway (I-90W) to Exit 27/Amsterdam. Go North on Route 30 through Amsterdam and Perth. At the intersection of Routes 29 & 30 turn left onto Route 29 then in 1.5miles turn right onto Route 29A. Stay on Route 29A for about 16 miles and the campground will be on the left. From West (Utica) Take NYS Thruway (I-90E) to Exit 29/Canajoharie. At stop sign turn right and follow Route 10 north to the intersection of Rte. 29A. Turn right on 29A and the campground will be on the right.

Picnic area at Caroga Lake CampgroundAmenities: 161 campsites (some designated as accessible for the mobility impaired), picnic area with tables and fireplaces (some designated as accessible for the mobility impaired), hot showers/flush toilets (some designated as accessible for the mobility impaired), trailer dump station, recycling center, boat launch (small craft), diversified exercise course with 18 exercise stations, sand beach, bathhouse, guarded swimming area late June till Labor Day, pay telephone.

Boating: Motor boats, rowboats, and canoes allowed. Rowboat, canoe and kayak rentals available. A small craft boat launch is available.

Fishing: Species include: chain pickerel, white fish, smallmouth bass, splake, brown bullhead, yellow bullhead, pumpkinseed, yellow perch, black crappie, white suckers, golden shiners, rock bass, and common shiners.

Hiking: Hiking trails are available nearby.

Day Use Facilities: A picnic area and swimming beach are available. * Please take note that at facilities that offer swimming beaches, there are days which lifeguards are unavailable. For the safety of our customers, these beaches will not be open and swimming will be prohibited.

Junior Naturalist Program: Our campgrounds become an outdoor classroom for young children (5-13) and their families. Enjoy games and activities to earn a beautiful embroidered patch.

Area Attractions: Shopping facilities, restaurants, and Adirondack Animal Land are located only a few minutes travel time at Caroga Lake, Johnstown, and Gloversville. A par-70, 18 hole municipal golf course is located just 2 miles north of the campground. Other attractions within a one hour drive of the campground are: Sharon Springs, Saratoga Springs, Howe Caverns, the Farmers' Museum and the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Historic Interest: Origin of the Indian name, "Caroga" is derived from the once nearby Indian Village known as "Caroga". Development of this campground began by Conservation Department personnel in 1927 and, when opened to the public just after the Fourth of July in 1929, the campground had camping and picnicking facilities for 1,000 persons. The present sea wall was installed in 1929-31 to clear the stones from the shoreline and the area behind it filled with gravel to make the present picnic area. The camping area loops were developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933, thereby freeing the waterfront area for the present swimming and picnic area and increasing the campground capacity. The campground size remained at approximately 100 camping sites until the late 1950's. Shortly thereafter the southern and western sections were constructed, approximately doubling the size of the campground.