Alger Island Campground
- Dates of Operation: See campground schedule
- Camping Fee: $18 per night (out of state residents surcharge additional $5 per night)
- Address: 303 Petrie Road, Old Forge, NY 13420 (directions below)
- GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude): 43 44 11.88987N, 074 53 29.92944W
- Campground Phone: (315) 369-3224
- Regional Office Phone: (315) 866-6330
- Make Your Camping Reservation: ReserveAmerica
Campground Map PDF File (401 KB)
This boat access only campground is located on Fourth Lake of the Fulton Chain of Lakes.
Fourth Lake Day-Use Area is the headquarters where registration and permits are issued for Alger Island. A state owned boat launch, with ramp for launching larger, motorized boats, is located on Route 28 in the village of Inlet.
15 lean-to sites with a fireplace, a hibachi, a picnic table and a pit privy, 2 tent sites with a pit privy, a fireplace and a hibachi, picnic area with picnic tables, fireplaces and pit privies, hiking trails.
Motor boats, rowboats, and canoes allowed. Parking and boat launching access (car top boats only) are gained from the adjacent department owned Fourth Lake Day-Use Area at the foot of the lake.
Lake trout, brook trout, rainbow trout, and landlocked Atlantic salmon.
From NYS Thruway, Exit 31 at Utica, Route 12 North to Alder Creek, Rte. 28 to Old Forge; right at the Post Office (Gilbert St.), left onto Park Ave., right onto South Shore Road to Petrie Road; 3/4 mile to the Fourth Lake Picnic Area.
From Route 28, Inlet, take South Shore Road to Petrie Road. One mile to Fourth Lake Picnic Area. Register for Alger Island at this point.
Get driving directions from Google Maps (leaves DEC website)
Planning and Management
The Alger Island Public Campground & Fourth Lake Day Use Area Final Unit Management Plan (PDF, 3.45 MB) (UMP) guides the DEC's land management activities at this facility for a five-year period, although a number of goals and objectives in the plan focus on a much longer time period. The UMP addresses specific objectives and actions for public use at this facility.
Rules, Regulations and Outdoor Safety
Clean your boat and equipment - help prevent the spread of aquatic invasives
Don't move firewood - help prevent of spread of invasive insects
A few minutes drive will provide shopping and sightseeing attractions in the nearby hamlet of Old Forge.
In 1811, an "Act for the Improvement of the Internal Navigation of the State for the purpose of establishing a communication by means of Canal Navigation between the Great Lakes and Hudson River" was passed by the New York Legislature. Steamboat inventor Robert Fulton was an enthusiastic member of the commission assigned to investigate the feasibility of an "Adirondack Canal" and he extolled the virtues of this unnamed chain of Adirondack lakes. Although the idea never attained fruition, the lakes have since been known as the Fulton Chain.
In his book "The Adirondacks" (Fulton Chain-Big Moose Region), Joseph F. Grady indicates that Alger Island was called Deer Island in the late 1700's. It was later called Big Island. Alger Island came from the family name of its longtime owners, father and son Mort and Ollie Alger.
Alger Island was purchased by the state of New York on January 16, 1950 from Charles J. Engel. Lean-to's were constructed during the 1960's with the last one finished in 1968.