Helmer Creek Wildlife Management Area
See the recreation icon key
- Location: Town of Rathbone, Steuben County
- Dates of Operation: Year-round
- Fee: None
- Contact: DEC Region 8 (Avon) 585-226-2466
- Maps: Helmer Creek Wildlife Management Area Map (PDF) (928KB) || Helmer Creek Wildlife Management Area Map
- Interactive Maps: Google Earth || State Lands Interactive Mapper
Helmer Creek Wildlife Management Area (WMA) The primary purposes of the Helmer Creek WMA is for wildlife management, wildlife habitat management, and wildlife-dependent recreation. The area consists of 126 acres of open land and woodland.
- wild turkey
- grey squirrels
- white-tailed deer
- grey fox
- red fox
The area is easily accessed from County Road 119, which runs between Addison and Canisteo. A parking area is provided for the convenience of area visitors. Three state forests exist nearby to explore.
- Canisteo River Road, grass area - Get Google Map Driving Directions (External Link)
- Route 24 / Cameron Mills Risingville Road, dirt road area - Get Google Map Driving Directions (External Link)
Rules, Regulations and Outdoor Safety
Activity Rules & Regulations
- Hunting Regulations
- Trapping Regulations
- Fishing Regulations
- Public Use of Wildlife Management Areas Regulations
The following activities are not permitted in Helmer Creek WMA:
- Unless specifically stated, using motorized vehicles, including:
- all-terrain vehicles
- Swimming or bathing
- Kindling fires
- Damaging or removing gates, fences, signs or other property
- Overnight storage of boats
- Cutting, removing or damaging living vegetation
- Construction of permanent blinds or other structures such as tree stands
- Storage of personal property
Outdoor Safety Tips
NOTE: Ticks are active whenever temperatures are above freezing but especially so in the late spring and early fall. Deer ticks can transmit Lyme and several other diseases. More information on deer ticks and Lyme disease can be obtained from the NYS Department of Health. (Leaves DEC Website)
How We Manage
Like most of the state's Wildlife Management Areas, Helmer Creek WMA is managed by DEC's Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources for wildlife conservation and wildlife-associated recreation (hunting, trapping, wildlife viewing/photography). Funding to maintain and manage this site is provided by the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration or "Pittman-Robertson" Act, which is acquired through excise taxes on sporting arms, ammunition and archery equipment.
This WMA is administered by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to provide habitat for native species of wildlife representative to this area of the state and to provide compatible recreational use of these natural resources.
Tourism Information for Nearby Attractions, Amenities & Activities
Numerous guide books and maps are available with information on the lands, waters, trails and other recreational facilities in this area. These can be purchased at most outdoor equipment retailers, bookstores, and on-line booksellers.
Web links below can provide information about other recreation, attractions and amenities in this area.